News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

unknown argument type -> xmm0

Started by markallyn, October 29, 2017, 04:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on November 01, 2017, 01:09:54 AMThe alignment is required if you are going to use instructions that require alignment, some do and some don't

Specifically, movaps requires alignment but movups/movdqu etc don't, and the speed penalty is normally negligible.

Btw the alignment of SIMD instructions concerns memory (.data?), not code. So align 16 in the code section is not required and does not do anything useful.

felipe

markallyn: I understood. I still don't try 64 bits. I think that when i get started i will find resources to learn it ( i love studying with good books). Probably my 16 and 32 bits experience will help me. I know is a hard advice to follow. I once got it from an assembly proffesor from an ARM book last year i think, it was somenthing related to trying random things in your programs to see what can happen, but he say that you really don't gain more knowledge with that.

Of course you can't know if you don't try, but i think i like to study in a more methodical way.

:icon14: :icon14: :icon14: :icon14: :icon14:

felipe

Btw markallyn i wasn't trying to discourage your efforts, i was just trying to give you an advice to optimize your time.
:icon14:

As you can figure i'm not an expert (i will love to  :P) so you can safely ignore me completly.
:biggrin: