News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Unable to open .exe Ollydbg

Started by james115, April 27, 2021, 04:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james115

Hello, i am tryng to open an .exe with Olly, i disabled the windows defender, but i cannot open the exe
Any suggestion? thanks

Vortex

Hi james115,

Welcome to the Forum.

What do you mean by opening an executable? Does Olly display the panes including the disassembly module?

jj2007

Hi james115,

Welcome to the Forum :thup:

You have more chances to get help if your diagnosis is clearer: "I see a messagebox saying..." or "when I do X, nothing happens" etc

Gunther

Welcome to the forum, James and have fun.

As already said: A detailed description of the error will help to solve your problem.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

james115

Hello, thanks to all, when i clik open and i choose the .exe file in the directory  i see the mesage shown in the attacchment
Thanks

jj2007

It could be a spaces-in-the-path problem. Try the following:
- copy the exe to the folder where Olly sits
- rename it to MyTest.exe
- drag it over OllyDbg.exe

Are you sure it's a 32-bit program? Olly won't load 64-bit code, although I think the message would be different.

james115

yes you are right is a 64 bit, since my pc is 64 bit and the software is new

Vortex

Hi James,

You can try x64dbg :

QuoteAn open-source x64/x32 debugger for windows.

https://x64dbg.com/#start

jj2007

Quote from: james115 on April 28, 2021, 01:09:33 AM
Hello, thanks to all, when i clik open and i choose the .exe file in the directory  i see the mesage shown in the attacchment
Thanks

That is the second message. The first one tells you already the reason:
File 'C:\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\SkelDualConsole64.exe' is probably not a 32-bit Portable Executable. Try to load it anyway?

Btw for 32-bit code I would use Olly version 2. As Erol (Vortex) already wrote, x64Dbg is a reasonable solution for 64-bit code. The interface has been ruthlessly stolen from Olly, so your learning curve shouldn't be steep at all. In the middle of Opzioni/Impostazioni/Motore you'll find "Skip INT3 stepping". Set it ON. Otherwise it's as simple as inserting an int 3 somewhere, hitting F9 to get there, and continuing with F7 & F8 as in Olly :cool:

james115