News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Tools for programming

Started by Jokaste, December 10, 2017, 03:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokaste

I use PoDump and ObjConv to examine my asm code and seeing if it can be optimized. Are there other tools that could help the programmer.
Kenavo
---------------------------
Grincheux / Jokaste

felipe

I don't know those tools nor other to help you to optimize your source code (except for books, maybe timers and probably your own experimenting and impression from the performance of the program). But talking in general about tools, when i get an error and i can't detect it, a good debugger had being very helpfull. But i don't know what tools exactly are you looking for. Just optimizers?

Jokaste

I am looking for tools able to detect dead (ObjConv does), misaligned datas and codes, a tool that detects replacing one instruction by an other one (mov rcx,0 => xor rcx,rcx) or deleting unneeded epilogue (OPTION EPILOGUE:NONE forgotten)...
Kenavo
Grincheux / Jokaste

jj2007

Quote from: Jokaste on December 10, 2017, 09:07:56 PM
I am looking for tools able to detect dead (ObjConv does), misaligned datas and codes, a tool that detects replacing one instruction by an other one (mov rcx,0 => xor rcx,rcx) or deleting unneeded epilogue (OPTION EPILOGUE:NONE forgotten)...

Sounds interesting! Do you have a big source that needs to be "polished" automatically? If it doesn't exceed 512 kBytes in zipped form, you can post it here. Maybe we could write something. For sources below 1,000 lines it can be easily done manually, of course.

Jokaste

No thanks JJ, I will include these possibilities into my current project (E!).
I made a skeleton of such a tool and decoded instructions that can be replaced.
I also found that __imp__xxxx (with PoAsm) are misaligned. For that I can't do anything.
But it is not for tomorrow, I have many things to code before.

Kenavo
Grincheux / Jokaste