Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Win7 Uefi setup

Started by ragdog, December 16, 2017, 07:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdog

Hello

SOrry that i post here but i cannot found the correct place.

I have a laptop  installed is windows 10
and try to install from boot usb windows 7 x64.

I have read i must disable "Secure-boot" and Uefi is enable

Now use i Rufus with option Gpt partition and fat32 to create a win7 usb disk from a Win7 X64

If i boot from this usb come the screen from setup "windows loading files" >> windows is starting"

And it freez.

I have google for a solution but not any good found has any an idea?

Greets,

Vortex

That Acer model does not look like an easy case :

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/471754/acer-aspire-es-15-es1-533-c3uw-legacy-bios-missing

No any way to switch to the legacy BIOS mode?

ragdog

Hello Vortex

Yes i can use Legacy mode but win7 x64 support uefi and i try to use it

LiaoMi

Quote from: ragdog on December 16, 2017, 08:14:25 AM
Hello Vortex

Yes i can use Legacy mode but win7 x64 support uefi and i try to use it

Hi ragdog,

the installation of windows must be done differently, in your case, there is a dropping of the usb connection, so everything freezes. You need to run LiveCD, make a hard drive formatted, copy all the installation files to the root of the disk, restart the system and install as usual without external sources, then just delete the extra files  :P

ragdog

No chance to boot  a w7 x64 from usb in uefi mode?

LiaoMi

Quote from: ragdog on December 16, 2017, 09:40:40 AM
No chance to boot  a w7 x64 from usb in uefi mode?

There was a trick that at some point you need to pull out and insert again your usb drive, but I dont remember at what stage of the installation exactly  :icon_redface:

ragdog

is it possible that i convert gpt to mbr?

LiaoMi

Quote from: ragdog on December 16, 2017, 11:21:50 AM
is it possible that i convert gpt to mbr?

Im not sure if the system will boot after you change gpt to mbr  :(

here reported that it was possible to install in the ufi mode with
Quotethe solution is in fact to have csm (compatibillity support module) support also enabled but have uefi set to load first.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-uefi-usb-installation-freeze-at-windows/c2a2dcad-e367-4c92-b230-6e08756ac80e?page=2&auth=1

sinsi

I have had success with booting setup from a UEFI USB with a Windows 7 DVD also in the drive, it boots from USB, starts setup, can't find the USB any more, finds the DVD and continues (this was just a copy of the Windows 7 files, not a bootable DVD)

ragdog

Hello sinsi

Quoteit boots from USB, starts setup, can't find the USB any more
I must add a usb driver to this setup stick?

I have make a dvd from win7 x64 iso and have the same freez problem

sinsi

I have also had a problem with the existing hard drive being MBR. Can you boot to recovery and use diskpart?

select disk 0   <<<<whatever disk number you are using, usually 0
clean
convert gpt

ragdog

My drive is in Gpt format

sinsi

Maybe try and convert it to MBR (at least temporarily) and see if setup gets any further. If it does, you're probably not booting from an EFI USB drive.
With most BIOSes if you press the "select boot device" key (F11, F12?) it should list the bootable drives, on my BIOS it explicitly shows UEFI-bootable drives e.g.

Kingston Data Traveller
UEFI Kingston Data Traveller <<<<<

ragdog

Hello thanks for your reply
I have

1.boot from Usb or Dvd in bios legacy mode = Works
2.boot from Usb or Dvd in Uefi mode = freez problem by windows is starting after windows loading files
3. change the Hdd ( use from a old pc it use Win7)  Uefi mode=freez problem by windows is starting after windows loading files

I disbale Secure boot to test it all and Uefi is enable

all what i have try in uefi ist setup fail "freez problem by windows is starting after windows loading files"
only legacy boot works fine

I have read in Net 80% works install Win7 in Uefi mode but i have many found with this frees problem but not any solution.

ragdog

HI

Found the problem

"Windows 7 setup dosn't support GOP only hardware: freeze at loading vga.sys"

This is not compatible with Uefi mode, it works only this bios works with Uefi/Csm mod.

Ok i found out it give solution with add a gpo driver and it can boot in Uefi.

thanks,