News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

QE Run Program

Started by sinsi, January 16, 2018, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

How does QE run the program? I see in menus.ini the command, but does it use CreateProcess or ShellExecute?
If I try to run an elevated program it just fails, no error or anything, which sounds like CreateProcess, whereas ShellExecute will show the elevation dialog.

felipe

Maybe it's using an old trick and executing the program through a cmd command? :idea:
I have tried winexec in win 8.1 and works just fine.  :bgrin:

russellgreen

Why doesn't the editor have a "compile and Run" feature, to test what is written so far?

Other Ides have that functionality. Its a simple matter afaik to compile a temp file then execute it programatically .. then delete it when done.

What I had in mind is a one button operation.

Russell

Siekmanski

Because there is nothing to compile.....  :biggrin:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

russellgreen

Quote from: Siekmanski on April 21, 2018, 03:50:06 PM
Because there is nothing to compile.....  :biggrin:

okay, assebmble link then run...   :P

thats what I meant.

Russell

Siekmanski

Welcome to the forum.  :t
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

russellgreen

hutch--

Russell,

Its done that way so you can have a look at the assemble results, assemble and link builds the exe/dll, then see if it runs IF the build works.

jj2007

RichMasm has that functionality - just hit F6, and the current source text gets assembled (even if it's not saved yet). It also autodetects if your application is subsystem console or Windows, and adds resources if [mysource].rc is present etc etc.

russellgreen

Quote from: jj2007 on April 21, 2018, 05:33:43 PM
RichMasm has that functionality...

Thanks for the :spam: but no thank you. We were discussing the functons of QE, and not looking for a replacement. Have a good day, sir.   :eusa_naughty:

Russell

jj2007

Congrats, as a new member you have an excellent start :t

russellgreen

Quote from: jj2007 on April 21, 2018, 05:44:46 PM
Congrats, as a new member you have an excellent start :t

Yeah, I get that a lot. Congrats go to you Jochen, MasmBasic and RichMasm have come a long way, and you seem to have a loyal following. But you have to consider that not all will be enamored by it. Just a matter of personal taste.

Russell   8)

felipe

Hey russell, what's your experience as programmer? Why you want assembly?

hutch--

Sinsi,

Normal RUN program is "WinExec()", I like it for its ease of use.