Author Topic: what drives you to make things?  (Read 321 times)

daydreamer

what drives you to make things?
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
some coders also do other stuff, like draw,paint, 3dmodelling or just enough skill to use poser and other 3dprograms that come with lots of premade stuff for your idea of artwork, being not so skilled just to enjoy make 2d painting on computers or being incredible skilled so you create photorealistic human skin for 3d models
maybe you create music, either you suffice with can make rhyming text or you are skilled with make your own masterpiece with programs like music maker as discjockey
or animation nonstop motion or 3d programs
or lack of drawing skills and pre-poser era you coded circles,spheres,mapmaking in ascii/bmp for a raycasting engine to scan

I saw a documentary of 72year old Ghibli director  hayao miyazaki how he still was making a short film as retired on japanese channel, he did lot of funny remarks as the documentary followed him many months
 at one point they asked him -"what drives you!!!"
-"its boring todo nothing"

1:I dont want to wake up with one or several strokes or other severe illness in a hospital that stops me from doing any hobby,you cannot do anything that day but to regret that you didnt live you life to the fullest when you still could, all those illnesses you can get are more reasons for carpe diem
2:lso its a question of do your favourite keep your brain in shape exercise, because sudoki and crosswords doesnt float everyone boats
3:I seen a tvshow about train your brain to become more positive thinking and quote, "its important to do fun things for the sake of mental health"

so whats your drive?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:01:39 AM by daydreamer2 »

sinsi

Re: what drives you to make things?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »

QFT
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

felipe

• Asssssssembly language...said the snake.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »
I like knowledge. And i do what i can to get that knowledge everyday...

I do it for me, and for others (like my family)...

::) Maybe is a little boring? Well of course i do other stuffs too... :bgrin:

But i'm a little reserved... :icon_cool:

;)

Sounds like a very normal life.  :icon_mrgreen:  So probably i'm no genius at all or expert. But maybe some day, who can tell?

Felipe.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »
Simple answer is "Use it or lose it".

More complex answer, I like things to work properly and to understand how and why they work. I don't like paying for other people's blunders.

I am a toolmaker by trade and it makes you fussy about how things are done.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

LordAdef

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
Nice thread, and really nice answers so far.

I like to make things, and I like the feeling you get when things you do do work.

Many times I donĀ“t mind reinventing the wheel... reinventing the wheel is quite fun too.

Siekmanski

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 02:07:26 AM »
As a kid I drove my family and teachers at school crazy with questions how things worked and why.
My parents bought me electronic experimenting boxes in an attempt stopping me disassemble stuff I found in the trash.
In those early days of my life I spend a lot of time in the library looking for technical information. ( no internet in those days )
There was very nice old guy working there who helped me a lot and even ordered some very interesting books for me to study.
I was 10 years old when the same guy gave me a book for free which explained in a simple way using math in electronics.
My father ( who was a pathological anatomist ) refused to buy me a chemical experimenting box for my birthday.
When I was older he told me why, he was afraid I would get my hands on other chemical components and do dangerous things.

When I got my first computer and learned to program, this was for me the holy grail. I could control electronics etc.
Learned how telephone communication protocols worked..... hahahaha. ( made some money in those days )  :badgrin:
I like to simplify things when I know how they work, this is a big drive to make things and look at it from different angles.

I still have the same drive as when I was a curious little kid.
But I'm very slow creating things nowadays since I have problems with my short time memory. ( brain injury due to a motorcycle accident )
Luckily all my knowledge is still there and I found other ( graphical ) ways to remember the steps to keep on coding.
An advantage is that I'm more precise in doing things because I need to repeatedly check myself.
Disadvantage is it takes a lot of energy and have to take a long break after a half hour coding.

So, coding is the biggest drive for me to train and stimulate my brain and be able to create stuff.

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 03:08:24 AM »
This...  :biggrin:
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

aw27

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 04:09:06 AM »
I saw a documentary of 72year old Ghibli director  hayao miyazaki how he still was making a short film as retired on japanese channel, he did lot of funny remarks as the documentary followed him many months
 at one point they asked him -"what drives you!!!"

72? Young guy. We had here a movie director who worked till the age of 105.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manoel_de_Oliveira

caballero

• Abre Ojos Ensamblador
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:50:03 AM »
> -"its boring todo nothing"
I would say that doing nothing is nice, but doing nothing all the time is unnerving
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 06:01:54 AM »
But I'm very slow creating things nowadays since I have problems with my short time memory.

Sorry to hear that, Marinus. But you still produce awesome stuff :t

I get distracted too often, my working desk is right in the middle of family life. That's fun by my serious coding starts often after 10pm, and then, unfortunately, I am not particularly "fresh" any more. My motivation? As Albert put it: Making complex things as simple as possible, but not simpler.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
Writing code for a long time effects your short term memory, the effect I have found is it gets a lot shorter but a lot faster and it is consistent with endlessly working on small bits of data which you handle as a stream that you don't need to remember once it has been used. I have always been dodgy at dropping names but I remember the faces, voices and often much of what they say. For those who have been writing software for a long time, the shift from data to storage is part of the reason why you lose things very quickly, why waste your brain remembering something that you can just look up later. Here I agree with Einstein.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

daydreamer

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
But I'm very slow creating things nowadays since I have problems with my short time memory. ( brain injury due to a motorcycle accident )
Luckily all my knowledge is still there and I found other ( graphical ) ways to remember the steps to keep on coding.
I didnt know, you create great code and making it despite that is making you an even better coder
just curious about what kinda graphical ways?

I had some similar background and now we find ourselves in the role of old teacher I had that enjoyed help younger people, but we answer as well as we can and the books are instead replaced by links that makes your mind grow

@Hutch
I also agree with einstein principles, but the dot over I is helpful to remember when you endup in a theater with a terrible space scifi movie
they introduced Einstein with a scifi space movie to try to impress him, but instead he laughed at -"sound in space?" :bgrin:

Siekmanski

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
just curious about what kinda graphical ways?

I can still produce the same level of code as I could 6 years ago.
Back then I could do it all by planning it in my head and remember all steps just by thinking of it.
The only difference is if I have an idea of coding something new, I have to immediately write all the steps down in a graphical flow sheet or else I forget the whole new idea or the strategy to work my idea out.
I've learned a lot of tricks from the rehabilitation center to control my energy levels and they also pushed me a bit to pick up programming right away in the hope to stimulate other parts of my brain to take over some functions that where damaged.
This is also the reason why my code is always commented.

To be back on topic, coding is a bigger drive for me to create things as ever before.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 10:21:34 PM »
write all the steps down in a graphical flow sheet ... my code is always commented.
In short: You are the only one here who applies good practice :icon_mrgreen:

Siekmanski

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 11:08:31 PM »
 :biggrin:, Yeah, born out of need only.