News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Files exist and occupy disk space but they don't show

Started by jj2007, February 02, 2018, 09:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

I have a weird problem. The attached project is a standalone zipper using Jeff Glatt's DLL.

The good news: It works like a charm. Drag a bunch of files over it, and see it in action.

The bad news: When dragging e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE over it, the proggie works just fine but... where is the archive?

OK, that folder is write-protected, fair enough. However,
- the program doesn't throw errors
- FindFirstFile("archive.zip") says it's there, and it even finds the exact and correct number of bytes (ca. 6MB for Winword)
- disk free space goes down by that amount
- I can open the file from within the proggie and read from it, and I see the PK marker
- but when launching the file with ShellExecute, I do not get an error but the external unzipper can't see the file content.

I have searched everywhere, the zip file can't be found. I've even done a chkdsk and a reboot, no errors. This is so weird ::)

When copying Winword.exe to a not-so-protected folder, and dragging it over LiteZipDll.exe, the archive is there and works.

There is also a simple workaround for the protected folder case: It works when creating the archive with GetTempPath. But I am not happy with the fact that when using a filename inside the protected folder, everything seems to work but the files are just not there :(

Has anybody run into something similar?

P.S.: There is a hilariously confused M$ thread about Can't Write to Program Files folder. Redmond, really, what a mess! And I don't have a problem with the fact that I can't create files there, but I do have a big problem with not telling me! Even MoveFileEx claims to have "succeeded". This is ridiculous, in particular since these non-existent files eat disk space :eusa_naughty:

sinsi

Sounds like virtual store
See if the zip is in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\...

jj2007

daydreamer

also had that trouble with running BG on new system,by default it installs and have all kind of save files in program files folder, so I had to reinstall it to some other place to make it work with new windows
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding