Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

joke

Started by Mikl__, February 15, 2018, 02:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daydreamer

Quote from: hutch-- on February 17, 2018, 09:52:31 PM
I see editors as something like choosing girlfriends, I like slim racy blondes but some like buxom brunettes and everything else inbetween. If an editor does the job for you, that's all it can do, the rest is personal genius, hard work and sometimes, good luck.
I Imagine qeditor is that blonde, the dot over I would be have that blonde as qeditors .Icon :badgrin:

some of us enjoy to code fast code to the extreme and/or small code
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

aw27

Quote from: hutch-- on February 17, 2018, 09:52:31 PM
I see editors as something like choosing girlfriends, I like slim racy blondes but some like buxom brunettes and everything else inbetween. If an editor does the job for you, that's all it can do, the rest is personal genius, hard work and sometimes, good luck.
I agree, I have used many editors since ms-dos Edlin  (still included in Windows 10 32-bit) :icon_rolleyes:.
However, I believe RichMasm is more word processor than editor, like those girls that are not.

aw27

Quote from: jj2007 on February 17, 2018, 07:28:31 PM
You mentioned that RichMasm is kkrunched: yes, that is necessary to respect the forum's 512 kB limit for attachments; the "true" size is 145,408
So, you use a compressor on your application, then you zip it all and you are telling me that you obtain a smaller archive in the end. In other words, kkrunched+zip is smaller than zip alone!

jj2007

Quote from: aw27 on February 18, 2018, 12:19:55 AMHowever, I believe RichMasm is more word processor than editor

It is both, certainly. I do all my assembly plus my C and FreeBasic stuff with RichMasm. Real permanent bookmarks, a search listbox that is much better than the one of NotePad++ (yes, there is one, you are right), plus hyperlinks, etc - there are quite a number of tailored features that you don't miss because you never had them 8)

Quote from: aw27 on February 18, 2018, 12:27:07 AMIn other words, kkrunched+zip is smaller than zip alone!

Of course! For RichMasm, it's 72591 vs 91378 bytes, over 20% less. Launching the kkrunched Richmasm is only a few milliseconds slower, you can't even notice the difference.

aw27

Quote from: jj2007 on February 18, 2018, 05:26:05 AM
- there are quite a number of tailored features that you don't miss because you never had them 8)
This really applies to you!  :t

Of course; for RichMasm, it's 72591 vs 91378 bytes, over 20% less. Launching the kkrunched Richmasm is only a few milliseconds slower, you can't even notice the difference.
I will not discuss your values, they simply mean that kkrunchy is not a good compressor. Because zip still has a lot of compression to do on it. A good compressor may even make the zip increase in size not reduce or just reduce slightly. There are much better free compressors. Have you tried mpress?

jj2007

Quote from: aw27 on February 18, 2018, 06:01:53 AMI will not discuss your values, they simply mean that kkrunchy is not a good compressor. Because zip still has compression to do on it. A good compressor would make the zip increase in size not reduce. There are much better free compressors. Have you tried mpress?

Yes, mpress reduces RichMasm.exe from 145408 to 81408 bytes, using the "very slow, better result" -s option.
For comparison, kkrunchy stops only at 74752 bytes. And 7-zip condenses it 3% more.

Btw the -20% applied to the comparison "kkrunched+zip is smaller than zip alone" (your wording).

LordAdef

in RichMasm´s defense:

I like the freedom to colour things on my own way, and mainly in places I´m currently working on.

RichMasm has many great features. Having said that, Many of them are hidden and I believe Jochen should spend some of his time improving RM´s GUI. But I know his main focus is actually masmBasic. if he wanted to work on RichMasm GUI, it would certainly become a much more used editor than it is today. Regardless of that, it´s what I use on a daily basis.

ps: JJ, please send me the check to the same bank account  :greenclp:

hutch--

:biggrin:

Now consistent with my previous assertion, if your taste in Editor's does not fit into the Blonde - Brunette distinction, walk on the wild side, live dangerously, try out a redhead. Its like a kid playing with matches, its risky but fun.  :P

jj2007

Quote from: LordAdef on February 18, 2018, 07:24:56 AMps: JJ, please send me the check to the same bank account  :greenclp:

Back on topic :t

aw27

I like the feature which allows us to get back to work after having some childish fun.  :greenclp:
Unfortunately sometimes I can not find the main menu.  :( . Other times I can not maximize RichMasm to increase my experience because the main menu covers the Maximize button.  :(

jj2007

Quote from: aw27 on February 18, 2018, 05:10:22 PM
I like the feature which allows us to get back to work after having some childish fun.  :greenclp:
Unfortunately sometimes I can not find the main menu.  :( . Other times I can not maximize RichMasm to increase my experience because the main menu covers the Maximize button.  :(

Thanks for informing me about the "covers maximise button" thing. Strange ::)

It doesn't happen on Win7-64, but you are right, Win10 shows this behaviour. Of course, you could simply enlarge the window a little bit, but you are in bug chasing mood, right?  :P

I see with pleasure that you found RichMasm's undocumented "embed image" function :t

I only use it for serious work, though:

Btw the text in the rightmost column, like navigation, tcDefMsg, Csv2Tab, ... are bookmarks. Real bookmarks, not toy bookmarks ;)

avcaballero

> walk on the wild side, live dangerously, try out a redhead
he he. This reminds me to a Polish song about a "ruda" (redhair) girl

aw27

It doesn't happen on Win7-64,
It does happen on my Win7-64.

Real bookmarks, not toy bookmarks
These are not bookmarks, you can call them Task List shortcuts as Visual Studio does.
However, Notepad++ has plugins for that as well and for hundreds of other things. 
http://docs.notepad-plus-plus.org/index.php?title=Plugin_Central

jj2007

Quote from: aw27 on February 18, 2018, 09:38:57 PM
Real bookmarks, not toy bookmarks
These are not bookmarks, you can call them Task List shortcuts as Visual Studio does.

Nonsense. RichMasm bookmarks are like browser bookmarks: Select a text in your code, e.g. "Cleanup MACRO", hit Ctrl D (as in most browsers), and voilà, Cleanup MACRO appears in the rightmost column. From then on, wherever you are in your code, when clicking once on Cleanup MACRO you jump immediately there (as in most browsers). And RichMasm will definitely not try to mimic Visual Crap 8)

QuoteIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to Visual Crap: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

aw27

Nope JJ, you have a tendency to always miss the target.
It is not only VS, it is followed in Eclipse, Delphi, Keil ARM and all IDEs I can recall.
In addition, the great VS engine is used in other compilers like the Atmel AVR Studio, which I used recently to make some AVR asm programming.