Author Topic: MASM Installation  (Read 14039 times)

Pethor

MASM Installation
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
Hi Guys!

I'd really like to use MASM32, but for some reason I cannot install it. I am currently using Windows 7 x64.
When I try to run the MASM installer it checks if it can read/write files and if it can delete files. Then, after quite a while a message window pops up and says: "You appear to have cancelled the installation."
I've tried running it in compatibility mode with admin-rights, but that doesn't help.

Any solutions?  :icon_confused:

Greetings,

Pethor
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:55:56 AM by hutch-- »

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
Re: MASM Installation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:00:45 AM »
you may have to disable your anti-virus program while installing
also, it is best if there are no other programs running and you leave the machine alone   :P

if all else fails...
try installing it on a different machine and copying the masm32 folder over
there are no registry changes made during install
it's about 50 mb total size

qWord

• The base type of a type is the type itself
    • SmplMath macros
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:04:22 AM »
Have you extract the installer to a folder on your drive? - running the installation from WinRAR/Zip can make problems.
Deactivating the AV for the installation can also help.
If it doesn't work: the installer can be open (as a archive) with WinRar thus you can move it's content to e.g. C:\masm32\ . After that you must run the batch file: \masm32\makelibs.bat.
MREAL macros - when you need floating point arithmetic while assembling!

Pethor

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:17:25 AM »
you may have to disable your anti-virus program while installing
also, it is best if there are no other programs running and you leave the machine alone   :P

Kaspersky Internet Security blocked the installation process somehow ... Thanks for the fast replies!
This might sound awkward but I'm not accustomed to such a great community :)  :t  :greenclp:

Thanks a lot!

Pethor

CodeDog

Re: MASM Installation [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »
Typically, anti virus software will respond if you install assembler packages, but not a single warning is recieved if you install a high language package. It is as if anti virus software is designed to eliminate assembly from the world.

Btw, I highly recommend MSE before other AV, it is a programmer's best friend.

Vortex

Re: MASM Installation [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 02:36:34 AM »
Hi Pethor,

Welcome to the forum.

No need to specify [SOLVED] in the title.

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 05:16:55 AM »
Hi Pethor,

welcome to the forum a have a lot of fun. :t

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

satpro

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
Hi Pethor,

I would agree totally with CodeDog in that your best bet with Win7 is to use Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV choice.  It works, and it works incredibly well.  It was designed for your OS.  I don't think about viruses any more--other than to always keep both eyes wide open ALL THE TIME.  Bad websites will get you as always, but if you consider yourself a programmer you probably (must or definitely should) know this already.  Regarding MSE, you won't even know it's there.  No other AV can say that.  And I would also say (you are an adult, so don't cry later) you should dump that AV you're using now and get MSE as fast as you can.  Heck, it's free and your computer will thank you.

I love the guys on this forum, and they will always help you in ways you've never imagined, but many of them have long, lesson-learned, hard-boiled techniques for avoiding viruses.  It is impossible to put their methods into a neat package.  They most likely will not all have Win7.  Consider that.  Assembly programmers are an eclectic bunch and there is no doubt that while we may each disagree on literally everything--we all do play on the same team.

So, dump the AV, redo MASM, seek out jj2007 with his MasmBASIC and start banging some keys.  And finally...  good luck.  This is a good place.

hfheatherfox07

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 02:03:09 AM »
I had the same problem .... My AV Picks up these 4 files as Bad

C:\masm32\bin\zoomin.exe

C:\masm32\dlgmake.exe

C:\masm32\examples\poasm\poasm1k\poasm1k.exe

C:\masm32\examples\threads\multidl\multidl.exe

I used uniextract from legroom.net   http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
To extract the masm32 package than built the libs ...I am on an XP and it would not install even with the AV off
Your code and your skills will be assimilated. Your programming language is irrelevant.
We are the ASM Borg and you will become part of us. Compile and be assembled.

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »
MSE finds no problems anywhere in my MASM32 v11 directory. And back when I was using NAV, through multiple versions of MASM32 it never found a problem.
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

CodeDog

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
Bad websites will get you as always, but if you consider yourself a programmer you probably (must or definitely should) know this already.

Yes. But you can protect yourself against bad websites too by using secure dns servers, sandboxing your web browser by using Sandboxie for example and using an ad blocker like ad muncher. Comodo offers free and secure dns servers, it will filter out bad websites for you, sandboxie will not allow the browser to alter anything on your machine (only a restricted area) and ad muncher will remove everything that is annoying or even bad.

It's easy to keep the computer clean by following a few principles. Always sandbox unknown programs, and if you download cracks and stuff like that, key generators, always run it sandboxed. It also helps to check your program with a universal anti virus scanner online before you use it. It will scan the file from 30 or 40 different AV scanners.

If you get infected however, you can return your system to a previous state, it will remove executables and dll's all over your computer to a previous state as well (or remove them entirely if I recall correctly)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »
I had the same problem .... My AV Picks up these 4 files as Bad

C:\masm32\bin\zoomin.exe
C:\masm32\dlgmake.exe
C:\masm32\examples\poasm\poasm1k\poasm1k.exe

I got a new Win7-64 notebook with a preinstalled strange virus that was hard to eliminate. It calls itself "McAfee" and flagged the three files above as competition :badgrin:

sinsi

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »
Do all of your browsing in a VM, if you get infected all you do is revert to a snapshot.
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
i see they have a new variant of the old "virut" virus
that's a meanie, as it infects exe's, html's, chm's on all drives
you can rebuild - and still have it on the machine
because of that virus, i have zip'ed all the exe's i use to build with

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
Hi folks,
The issue here is that Acer tried to shove down my throat a trial version of McAfee, and the damn beast popped up on each and every occasion. Probably in combination with Micro$hit offering me a "free" virus catcher called Internet Explorer. They make good business together...