I'll be buying a new computer...

Started by zeddicus, March 29, 2018, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonewolff

And you have a head of hair that would make John Travolta proud   :bgrin:

zedd151

Quote from: Lonewolff on April 13, 2018, 09:39:29 PM
And you have a head of hair that would make John Travolta proud

yeah my hair has not been effected by age, just everything else. (almost)  ;)

:lol:

zedd151

I've been toying with the idea of using an emulator to get some form of Windows running here. I remember using a Vista version of WinPE for running utilities (HD cleaning, defragmenting. etc) offline. If I remember correctly, I used to also play solitaire (lol) after installing sol.exe and cards.dll to the iso.

It got me to thinking if it was possible to run masm and qEditor from WindowsPE (within an emulator) ....

Details shortly, I'm downloading an iso right now.   :eusa_dance:

Lonewolff

zedd151

First attempt at mounting and running from emulator.
Obviously not a bootable disk image...

Still downloading, and my phone is telling me "Can't load content at the moment" when I try to attach photo (.zip)  :(

zedd151

Next iso was indeed bootable, but huge 1 gig.  Memory issues.   :greensml:

Back to the drawing board.....

Lonewolff

zedd151

Quote from: Lonewolff on April 16, 2018, 11:54:32 AM
Ha! Doing it tough, man!  :biggrin:

You never know just how much you' ll miss something until you really don't have access to it anymore.So yeah, in my desperation I'll try anything to get my fix.   :icon_mrgreen:

--------------------  later ---------------

After  veeeery long boot process...

No joy:(

zedd151

After a couple of hours of playing around with a couple of emulators and iso's I'm not getting anywhere.

So I'll have to leave that idea for now. Now I really cannot wait much longer to get a halfway decent computer here. Once that happens, I'll be back in busines.   :biggrin:

jj2007

Remember assembly is so fast that even a cheap old used notebook will do the job for you ;)

zedd151

:biggrin:   :biggrin:

I'm working on something, and it won't be long now.....

zedd151

almost there...

Problem is that everything done through an emulator takes sooooo looooong.

I'm not even sure if I'll be able to access real world files from the virtual environment.   :icon_eek:

But there's always hope...

zedd151

Unless its a simple configuration problem, I'm not going to be using emulated Windows after all....

I'll just have to wait for the real deal...

hutch--

Z,

Depending on your area, you should be able to hook an older desktop PC for peanuts. Something like a Core2 that will run a 64 bit version of Windows if you want. As I have been writing software for many years, I own a couple of Core2 boxes, a 3 gig 9650 and an older 2.4 gig version and even the slower one is fun to write code on. Both have XP loaded on them but Core2 will run 64 bit OK. You may miss out on the very later SSE4 and AVX but you can get a lot of code written on an older box and asm run well on them.

zedd151

Good advice hutch, I've been shopping around the 'used' market myself. If all works out financially here, I should be up and running within a month. Ya gotta remember I'm running on a shoestring budget, so something used might mot be such a bad  idea , at least for now.
I can always 'upgrade' to something better later on.