News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

I'll be buying a new computer...

Started by zeddicus, March 29, 2018, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anunitu

Towers seem to be cheap,even new have dropped in price,unless you are looking for a gaming rig.

zedd151

How can they sell a brand new laptop for only 20 dollars US more than retail os price ?

Win 10 64 bit btw.

im on a mission to find out.   :eusa_dance:  :bgrin:  :biggrin:   :biggrin:

amd processor though...

Now I can check out whats up with caballeros '  drawers.   :P

I had no idea prices have come down so far.

avcaballero

> Now I can check out whats up with caballeros '  drawers.
:biggrin:

I bought a 386 retail some (quite) time ago by a similar prize. With a hard disk which allowed me to compile programs without having to insert and remove dozens of different floppy disks :icon_rolleyes:  Wonderful :lol:

anunitu

last tower i bought,was about $400 with dual core 1TB drive built in graphic card,wifi and not to bad,but only a 300 watt power supply. With win10 but it is still in the box,until my win 7 box bites the dust. IT is an HP if you wondered,the win7 box is also HP,and running well.

zedd151

Okay, so the ad was a little misleading. It's a netbook, but thats okay. I was going to plunk down 120 USD for win 10 home, then another xxxx amount of dollars for a new ssd hard drive. Just to get an older laptop of questionable operability to function. Then theres the battery problem with the ols laptop. Doesn't hold a charge. I could spend twice what I did on  the netbook to fix up the laptop (32 bit) which will become obsolete in time.

For those intetested, its a Dell Inspiron 11 3000. I'll post specs as soon as I get home and unpack it. Even if performance is mediocre, at least I can code once again. Instead of being a troll on the forum. Sorry hutch--  :P

zedd151

Finally got this thing tethered to my phone via bluetooth for stable internet connection. So now ends this saga and this thread.  :greenclp:

Can't get the smileys to work when clicking on 'em...  or the other icons in the posting editor

avcaballero

I'm curious, what kind of computer is it for only $20? I hope to keep my W7 for many more years. :biggrin:

zedd151

It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Netbook. retail for 139.99 USD.  Windows 10 Home sells for 119.99 USD at same store.  :biggrin:

So far the only problem is I can't use the smileys here by clicking on them. Probably a browser setting. But it will take me some time to figure out how to change all the things I would like to change on this computer.

From System Information:

Dell Inspiron 3180  --> I don't know why the literature included says Inspiron 11 3000
Windows 10 home, 64 bit
AMD A6-9220e R4 , 2cores, 2 logical processors
29.12 GB eMMC Hard Drive
4 GB Memory

Lonewolff

Awesome! Now we can see you hit your project hard  :t

It probably won't run Crysis at 4K, but will be awesome for coding on.

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on May 06, 2018, 06:13:51 AMDell Inspiron 3180  --> I don't know why the literature included says Inspiron 11 3000

There is a review here, but that one is a "ChromeBook", i.e. not Windows. If you have Windows installed, congrats, it seems a very good machine. Get a fast assembler like UAsm64, and you'll be fine.

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on May 06, 2018, 12:54:06 PM
but that one is a "ChromeBook", i.e. not Windows.

Yuck. After having an Android Phone for a while, I'd rather not be stuck with Google all over my computer. Even though this machine has plenty of its own bloatware.

Quote from: jj2007 on May 06, 2018, 12:54:06 PM
If you have Windows installed, congrats, it seems a very good machine.

More bang for the buck. It came just in time, as I was looking for a reasonable bargain. I would have spent twice as much to get an older laptop up and running. The netbook is small but compared to typing on a smartphone for a while, it is plenty big.

Now once I get this box setup just the way I like it and have all my programming tools at my disposal, I can resume coding in assembler. 

daydreamer

Quote from: zedd151 on May 06, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
Now once I get this box setup just the way I like it and have all my programming tools at my disposal, I can resume coding in assembler.
congrats on new computer, hope you didnt end up with a cheap 1360x768 screen
:t
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

zedd151

Quote from: daydreamer on May 06, 2018, 05:17:50 PM

congrats on new computer, hope you didnt end up with a cheap 1360x768 screen
:t

Considering that I was posting from a smartphone, 1360x768 is HUGE. Plus there is always the possibility of using an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. For $139.99 USD I'm satisfied with the purchase, especially considering the cost of fixing up the harddriveless, dead battery laptop that I came to own. Add up the cost of a hard drive, Operating System, Battery, an more memory, and it comes out to double or more than what this humble computer cost. all I can say is   :biggrin:   :biggrin:  I'm happy with it.

zedd151

Only three days in and I broke my new computer.    :icon_redface:
Just today, I was about to have supper and was finishing some code at that time. I figured that I should get the code down before I forget my train of thought. So I decided to bring the netbook with me. I tripped and fell and the netbook went flying.

To make a ling story short, I now have another dead computer on my hands.  "Operating System Not Found. I even tried to reset to factory condition, no dice.  Why me all the time??

So, I will be sitting on the sidelines pretty much for a little while longer. Writing a little code, but won't of course be able to test what I write.

I doubt if the warranty will cover my own mishap.    :(

mineiro

This message is standard, maybe you forgot some cd, pen drive, memory card without the boot sector on the pc and the BIOS software is trying to boot the Operating System where it does not exist. It is a sequence that we can configure, as priority 1 being hard disk, priority 2 cd-rom, ....
Enter the BIOS firmware and configure to boot from the hard drive, you have nothing to lose. I'm not assuming the cable dropped or hard disk faults.
Another option is to redo the boot sector if it is; maybe more than one partition; I do not think it's a disk failure.
You only need find where O.S. it is or reinstall O.S. in last case.
If it does not work, grab the scapulars, talismans and amulets and pray a lot.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything