Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

I'll be buying a new computer...

Started by zeddicus, March 29, 2018, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedd151

Quote from: mineiro on May 25, 2018, 07:47:56 AM
I'm remembering that I was running windows xp sp3 and that consume only 48mb after initialization...

sounds a lot like mini xp, or similar bootable portable xp (bartpe for example)

Good old windows xp. Got a lot of flack in those days, but it was the most customizable and user friendly operating system.
It didn't complain too much if the user removed a lot of the bulk. (Except for operation 'critical' components)

While I never got xp as small as 48 mb, I did get it down to just under 400 MB. It booted fast in comparison to the default installation.
And restoring backups took hardly any time at all.

But now everyone has to deal with Windows 10 bloatware. But little by little, I'm working on that problem on my end with some success.

zedd151

Getting ready to give Ubuntu a try
If successful,  will use it for internet (denying internet access to all of the invasive crap on Windows 10.)
:bgrin:

It's booting up now....    :biggrin:

zedd151

Hello Ubuntu!   :biggrin:

Actually I have used ubuntu in the past,  but briefly.

Now i can say dirty things about Micros**t with out fear they will send a digital time bomb into my computer.      :P

it just works, right off the cd rom...

zedd151

I tried to install Ubuntu,  but no grub was installed so I overwrote the installation and re expanded the Windows partition.  Will run Ubuntu from CD until I have time to try to install it again.

zedd151

Quote from: zedd151 on May 30, 2018, 07:12:15 PM
... until I have time to try to install it again.

I don't have to work this weekend so I will try to install Ubuntu on Saturday. On the Windows 10 front, I have my OS down to 8 GB.   :icon_mrgreen:  Leaving plenty of room for the repartitioning and installation of Ubuntu.

zedd151

Well not totally,  just a catchy title.    :P

While attempting to install Ubuntu for the second time,  something went horribly wrong and wiped out my Windows 10 partition.  When I saw that,  I didn't even attempt to log into Ubuntu. I went straight away to reinstall Windows.  The somewhat long process is running now.  I would have reinstalled a backup,  but the partition setup is such that the backup I have won't install due to windows partition now too small.  (Drive Snapshot needs same size or larger partition)

I am assuming that the gpt/uefi partitioning / booting system is fubarring the Ubuntu installation. Or so it seems.  Of course it could also be that I'm a newb when it comes to Linux in general and Linux installation in particular.

So once I get my Windows installation back up and running,  I don't think I will try a third attempt at installing Ubuntu to the same hard drive as Windows.   :(

felipe

Why don't you try the new windows linux subsystem?  :idea:

zedd151

Quote from: felipe on June 03, 2018, 08:05:14 AM
Why don't you try the new windows linux subsystem?  :idea:

Because I have no idea what/where that is.    :icon_confused:

felipe

Have a look here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10. But i have never done nothing with it, so you will have to figure it out alone or with help of another forum member that has.  :idea:

zedd151

Nope,  I  can't do that.  I literally spent days getting rid of micro$**t  store apps.  I won't use anything related to M$ Store.
It's just another way micro$**t tries to control what the end user does with their own computer.    8)

felipe

What about trying a live linux system?  :idea:

zedd151

Quote from: felipe on June 03, 2018, 12:08:22 PM
What about trying a live linux system?  :idea:

Quote from previous post in this thread....
Quote from: zedd151 on May 30, 2018, 07:12:15 PM
....  Will run Ubuntu from CD until I have time to try to install it again.

;)

That's exactly what I plan on doing,  felipe.   :biggrin:

felipe

I have experienced ubuntu live and i found it a little slow. I recommend you a lighter distro, especially if all you want to do is browse the internet with it.  :idea:

zedd151

I finally got rid of the last of the remaining "Metro" apps from Windows 10 Home.
It fubarred the Start Menu, but that's okay. I have a work-around for that.

No more Cortana, no more Edge, no more of any of the other Sh***y apps
that came with Win 10 Home. Only the legacy "Programs" remain.   :biggrin:

The OS is down to 8.35 GB. Now I can live with that.
So since I shouldn't be having any more trouble with the invasive apps, I will
again resume coding here shortly. The computer is behaving very well, runs a
magnitude faster than the original install, have much fewer running processes.  :t

The last phase will be to try and remove the last remnants of the "Metro" apps
by removing the entries for them in the WinSxs directory. Have already completely
removed them from the other directories.

hutch--

Z,

A toy worth owning, Spybot Anti-Beacon.