News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

I'll be buying a new computer...

Started by zeddicus, March 29, 2018, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimg

I assume you did a google search for "dell inspiron 11 3000 disable touchpad" and nothing there helped?

zedd151

Quote from: jimg on July 05, 2018, 01:15:00 AM
I assume you did a google search for "dell inspiron 11 3000 disable touchpad".....

:icon_rolleyes:   Ummmm no. It's usually in a case like this that the most obvious solution for a problem is the most often overlooked.   :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks Jim, you're almost a genius.

There are two mice or pointing devices listed in device manager. One is the mouse that I use and the other is the touchpad, even though it is not listed as 'touchpad'. So changing the driver for the touchpad to anything else enabled me to disable it. and that's what worked to disable the touchpad.  Now I can remove FORTRANS' piece of cardboard.  :P   just kidding, Steve.

Concept from answers.microsoft.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the touchpad is totally disabled, I will put all the changes I made back to 'factory' condition - except for the disabled touchpad.
Then I will see if there is still a problem with the vertical scroll randomly activating.

:biggrin:

zedd151

After disbling the touchpad (finally) the mouse problem appeared to have been fixed.                           momentarily.   :(

That was a good suggestion however, to eliminate the possibility of compatibility problems between the mouse and touchpad.

So I thought "Now what can I do?".

I have changed the batteries
I disabled the scroll wheel by physically removing the emitter (it had a loose emitter)  -- read more below...
I have disabled the touchpad
I even tried changing drivers for the mouse.

All to no avail. Each time I try something it appears to work, but for just a little while.  Sooner or later, the trouble begins once again.
It seemed for a while to only happen ewhen I was typing. That made me paranoid that someone slipped me a Digital Bomb

I do go to places on the web, that are shall we say 'not suitable for all audiences'  :biggrin:   And I download a lot of junk from the web as well.

I have run AV scans on everything on my computer, the two SD cards I use for storage, it was driving me crazy!
I even thought that MS could be behind it, for all of my activity in closing down all of the MS Spyware on WIndows 10.  :P

but lo-and-behold....
remember when I said I 'fixed' the scroll wheel? It turns out I only did half of the job. I left the detector in place.

The last thing I did was to remove the detector for the scroll wheel. That was hours ago, and I have been writing some code since
that time with no apparent trouble from the mouse.

hutch--

Z,

I am much of the same view as AW, I use a Microsoft optical cable mouse that is completely hassle free as you just plug it in and it works. For my older i7 box with Win7 64 Ultimate I use a low cost wireless Logitech mouse which works fine but I have to keep in mind that it may stop if the battery wears out. The trick is to throw out any of the crap that comes with a cheap mouse if it will just plug in and run.

zedd151

Quote from: hutch-- on July 12, 2018, 03:10:09 PM
Z,

I am much of the same view as AW, I use a Microsoft optical cable mouse that is completely hassle free..

At this point (a full week after my last post) I can safely say that the trouble wasn't with my mouse after all.
It works fine now, with the touchpad disabled.

Apparently there is a problem with this computers touchpad and Windows 7 64 and my mouse -  all trying to
work together.

There are no issues with the touchpad and Windows 10 64, and the mouse all running at the same time.

-- -but I prefer to  keep running WIndows 7. So the touchpad will remain disabled until such time that I have
to run Windows 10 - as the trial period on my Windows 7 install on this computer nears its end.

zedd151

Damn Microsoft!!

I had to pop in a backup of Windows 10 to make a posting to one of the Matrix Transposition threads. I was sure that I had disabled Windows Update permanently. But low-and-behold, M$ found a way in, and I just got a popup from Windows 10 ""We are adding some new features to Windows, this could take a few moments" I rebooted back into WIndows 7 immediately to curtail the installation that probably still lies-in-wait. Luckily though, It's not my licensed version of Windows 10 which I had spent days securing from such tragedies.

On second thought, maybe I overlooked disabling Updates on the copy of Win 10 Ultimate that I was 'trying out'.    :icon_rolleyes: 

correction= It was my primary Windows 10 licensed installation.
Ooops! something is definitely amiss. It was not Windows 10 Ultimate, as I had trouble with that backup. It was indeed my customized
Windows 10 installation that M$ found a way in- to Windows Update.  I'll just have to reinstall the backup to further circumvent their
tampering with my setup.  :shock:   I must have missed a setting somewhere. I know that it will not try to update the OS, it was trying to
install some 'typing' program, probably for autocorrect. I didn't get the full description of the update it was so generously supplying me with.

zedd151

:biggrin:   at least on my computer.

For over a week I have been using Windows XP in VirtualBox (On Windows 7 Ultimate - 32bit)

It is basically set up as my Development Environment. Nice, quiet, no peeping programs or processes to interfere
with what I want to do on MY computer.

If Windows 10 had not been natively installed at the factory I would totally remove it from my repertoire. (sp?)

Now I can comfortably write code, surf the internet and do everything else without wondering what Windows 10 is
tracking about me today. Fork Cortana! That whore.  :biggrin:

Windows 10 is the ultimate spyware. Yet M$ claims that everything that Windows 10 does is there to help you.

LOL!!  That kind of help I do not need. I want to be left the f**k alone and not be spied on by my Operating System.  8)

felipe

That's ok, but now you will be spied in the world wide web... :idea: So the question is: can you with that too?...:idea:

8)                               :icon_cool:                     :shock:                    :lol:           :idea:           :redface:

:icon_mrgreen:

zedd151

Quote from: felipe on July 23, 2018, 12:56:02 PM
That's ok, but now you will be spied in the world wide web...
Nah. theres a level of anonymity and firewalls are in place.
Plus I can always turn off the internet and still use the computer, but I can't use the internet without a computer.

8)

zedd151

START OF GRIPING SESSION
Issues, issues, and more issues. I have two partitions both with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit set up on them,
the one I use regularly I cannot complete the installation of VC++ 2015 redistributable 14.0.23026.
It gives an error "0x8000ffff" catastrophic failure", tried repairing and /or uninstalling and reinstalling it to no avail.
This is the os I tinkered with, to reduce the overall size, btw. So I am not completely surprised.

Okay, so on a second partition, I set up a clean unmodified version of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. the VC2015
redistributable installed, and ML64 and the rest work fine.  But on that Win 7 installation I cannot get ollydbg
to run properly. Single Step exceptions, etc. and the debugged program exits. I tred the exact same settings
in fact copied the entire odbg110 folder from the Main install to the New install, no good results.

I am thinking that there is something in new install I need to turn off in Windows 7 to allow olly to run properly.
I would be grateful for any suggestions. I would like to move everything over to the 'clean install' version of WIndows
7 but that is exactly the one giving problems in regard to ollydbg.

So, on one ML64 is fudged, on the other I can't run ollydbg..   :(
I stopped running xp in virtual box for the same reason, its a real pain-in-the-arse to switch from one to the other.

END OF GRIPING SESSION -- LOGGED 6:05:26 AMSunday, August 05, 2018

zedd151

::) :icon_rolleyes: ::) :icon_rolleyes: ::)

It's always the same thing. The seemingly hardest problems usually have the simplest solutions. I am
posting from the 'clean install' Windows 7 and

Found I only needed  to adjust ollies 'compatibility settings' to Win XP.    :biggrin:
Checking 'Run as Admin' didn't hurt either.

Later--> Yup, I ran some tests everything is okay with the clean install of Windows 7. I have copied my files over already
and am about to trash the non compliant WIn 7 setup  8)   

zedd151

Sweet. I now have a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, all of my files and other junk have been copied to the new install.
I installed masm32, buildx64, ML64 and company without a hitch. I have reinstalled all of my favorite programs,
(most of them are copy/paste workable) and have no more troubles with ollydbg. Now I will install x64dbg, to have
a debugger handy for 64 bit code.
I had trouble with the 32 bit version, but perhaps I will have better performance with their 64 bit program.

And to top it all off, I made a backup copy (This time with all the programs and settings in place :P )

zedd151

Test post from a computer without a hard drive. Running Windows 10 to Go, 32 bit from a usb flash drive.   :biggrin:
Actually, it's a micro SD card, you can see it there in the Vivitar adapter.  OS in a drive no bigger than a finger nail,
Who would have thunk?

actual image of this post ^^^^^   8)
And I thought running Windows xp in virtual Box was slow.   :P  At least now I know I have a working computer for if/when my main system craps out. This box is an ancient (not really THAT old) Acer AspireOne
netbook. Screen resolution, 1024 x 600.   But not to worry, it has a monitor jack if I can find the monitor cable.  :icon_confused:

Once a program is loaded into memory, it runs ok. But loading the program from the usb drive takes some time. Its only usb 2.0 after all.

Later --> I found out I only have 512 MB memory in  there, I'll have to swipe some from the junk laptop.

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on August 08, 2018, 12:43:08 PMTest post from a computer without a hard drive. Running Windows 10 to Go, 32 bit from a usb flash drive.   :biggrin:
Actually, it's a micro SD card

Looks fascinating, but now you confuse me: What is it exactly, a USB flash drive or a micro SD card?? And how did you convince the OS to boot from there?

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on August 08, 2018, 04:41:22 PM
Quote from: zedd151 on August 08, 2018, 12:43:08 PMTest post from a computer without a hard drive. Running Windows 10 to Go, 32 bit from a usb flash drive.   :biggrin:
Actually, it's a micro SD card

And how did you convince the OS to boot from there?
I generically call any drive that plugs into the usb port a flash drive . 
Maybe I should say solid-state, usb port enabled, read-write device?   :P

As for 'Windows To Go' it is a feature rolled out with Windows 8, I believe,
that enables a Windows installation to be installed onto a removable device.
Do a Google Search for Windows To Go. No hassles with the install, no
fudging around to get the OS to work "right', like I have seen others trying
to do on the net on various sites. (With Windows xp and WIndows 7, et. al.)

And Windows has come a long way as far as supplying adequate in-box, stock
hardware drivers.

Heres a link With more information   :t Of course you still need a valid
license (key) for continued use after 30 days.