News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

My videogames history

Started by avcaballero, April 07, 2018, 07:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avcaballero

At the age of 8-bit consoles such as Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, etc. were created in Spain many companies that developed wonderful games. Opera, Topo Soft, Dinamic, Ziggurat, etc.

My memories of games of this era belongs to them. A friend of mine and I run out of high school at recess time to play to Camelot Warriors, a wonderful platform game developed by VĂ­ctor Ruiz for Dinamic for the Spectrum.

The games of this era did not have the graphics and sound of what have now, but they allowed the imagination to do the rest. They were very addictive commercial games that could be programmed by a single person. Today that would be unthinkable, it takes a whole team of developers for an industry that moves more money than the cinema.

However it is not all lost, there are pages of abandonware from where we can download the rom of these mythical games to remember our old plays. There are even corners of programmers that make excellent remakes. I recommend, for example, Goody with instructions also in English. It is one of my first games and I remember it with a lot of love. It is a thief who has to steal a bank of Spain, for which he has to collect the digits of its combination and avoid the multiple dangers that lie in wait for him, throwing away bricks to kill his enemies and drink a jug of beer to regain strength.

If any videogame for the Spectrum could be developed by one person with limited resources, there is no reason for we can not do it also. Only time is needed :t :icon_mrgreen:

zedd151

Only time is needed :t :icon_mrgreen:

And patience, talent, and good debugging skills. :P

Part of the fun is experimenting to see what is possible ....

Lonewolff

Quote from: zedd151 on April 07, 2018, 07:40:12 PM
Part of the fun is experimenting to see what is possible ....

Yep, this is my mindset also.

I'm going through a DirectX11 in ASM phase. It's good fun :)

I grew up on an Atari 2600 then moved on to the C64. The best era of games ever!

Once you get past the awesome photorealistic environments of today's games, there isn't much left.

Cabellero is spot on, the imagination filled in the gaps and made the games unique (and probably entirely different) for everyone.

The C64's music still stands strong today. I can fire up the games of old and listen to the music on YouTube for hours.

avcaballero

Quote from: Lonewolff on April 07, 2018, 08:23:16 PM
I can fire up the games of old and listen to the music on YouTube for hours.
I do the same, although for this I usually use the player xm player to play mods files: mod, s3m, xm, it, etc. :t

Lonewolff

My favourite music of all time has to be the Last Ninja series.

I have chatted with Matt Gray (Last Ninja 2) on Twitter quite a bit in the past. He's a pretty nice guy. We even tossed around the idea of him making the music for my game and he was all for it.  8)

avcaballero

I wait for your game :t

There are many cool mods. One of them is blue cool penguin, that I have attached with the masm fasm demo.

Edited: I have substituted the masm/bassmod version by fasm/ufMod that seems exit from the player thread well (not as the previous one)

anunitu

This game from c64 I played a lot. The music stuck in my head.

from youtube here.
https://youtu.be/a5qzX0eRY1c

Nonterraqueous for Commodore 64

This was an all time favorite.
https://youtu.be/-x3Ctidjh44

Montezuma's Revenge

avcaballero

The first one remains me to the last mission by Opera Soft. And the last one to Abu simbel profanation by Dinamic, this one has a remake for windows downloable for free. :t

anunitu

c64 was where I first tried assembler for 6502 chip. then graduated to x86 assembler.

avcaballero

I have substituted in the previous post the masm/bassmod version by fasm/ufMod that seems exit from the player thread well (not as the previous one)

Lonewolff

Quote from: anunitu on April 08, 2018, 11:28:43 PM
c64 was where I first tried assembler for 6502 chip. then graduated to x86 assembler.

Same for me  :t