Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

New member (LoGiCaL__) to MASM Forum

Started by LoGiCaL__, April 19, 2018, 12:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoGiCaL__

Hi Guys,

As the subject states, I am new to the forum. I am also new to assembly pretty much all together. I do have a professional background with software development and other langues. Mainly C#, C, C++, Javascript and the librarys and framworks, HTML, CSS, Ruby, Linux, Powershell to name a few. Basically, I'm familiar with other languages and constructs of programming.

I've known about assembly for the longest and was just always to lazy to get around to it. It looked to complex blah blah blah. A million and one excuses not to. I finally got around to it and began learning MASM32 because of Windows. I really do love it a lot. A lot more than I originally thought I would. So far I checked a lot of sites and I really haven't found any good tutorials that are on par with other langues I've come across in the past. I'm not sure if this is just the way it is or maybe I missed something. Thus far I've been pretty much going through the examples in "\masm32\tutorial\console". So far it's where I've learned the most from.  Is there a better resource with maybe a more personal or detailed explanation that is well known in this domain? If so Id appreciate a link.

What has finally sparked a fire under my ass to get me to finally dive into the language is a combination of timing. I've been going through a shitty time in life and finally have some time to do things I haven't had the chance to do. Combined with doing some research on a new code injection technique (Early Bird https://thehackernews.com/2018/04/early-bird-code-injection.html); I've come across the malware-analyst profession and was immediately hooked. Reading through further research it basically explained that knowing assembler is essentially a must for reversing techniques and the fact that everything gets disassembled to assembly.  Boom Baby!!!! here I am! :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: I'm new here and maybe that's how a lot of noobs sound but I'm very interested in learning assmbly(MASM32) at the moment.  If anyone has any pointers, advice, or any else to add please do.

zedd151

Welcome to the forum.

What are your plans?

LoGiCaL__

Quote from: zedd151 on April 19, 2018, 12:49:15 PM
Welcome to the forum.

What are your plans?

My plans are to learn assembly (MASM32) to be proficient in reading and writing code.

zedd151

Well you came to the right place to learn assembler. Just keep in mind that certain topics such as 'reverse engineering' are against forum rules.

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=4.0

read #3

zedd

LoGiCaL__

Quote from: zedd151 on April 19, 2018, 01:07:26 PM
Well you came to the right place to learn assembler. Just keep in mind that certain topics such as 'reverse engineering' are against forum rules.

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=4.0

read #3

zedd

Got it!  :t  I'm not here for any mailcious, hacking or cracking intent. I'm simply here to learn. I mentioned it in my post to show how I got here. Any who, I appreciate the heads up and will be more aware of the rules while posting in the future.

zedd151

Very well then. If you have general questions about assembler, the place to do it is here on the Campus. just start a new topic .

There are many helpful and knowledgeable members here, who will be able to help as time permits.    :icon14:

edit to add:

after you make about 20 posts, the questions and kaptcha are no longer necessary to post.   :t

daydreamer

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

felipe

Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: LoGiCaL__ on April 19, 2018, 12:44:31 PM
Is there a better resource with maybe a more personal or detailed explanation that is well known in this domain?

Intel manuals.  :biggrin:

Quote from: LoGiCaL__ on April 19, 2018, 12:54:53 PM
My plans are to learn assembly (MASM32) to be proficient in reading and writing code.

That's fine, did you write some code already?

LoGiCaL__

Quote from: felipe on April 21, 2018, 01:22:25 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: LoGiCaL__ on April 19, 2018, 12:44:31 PM
Is there a better resource with maybe a more personal or detailed explanation that is well known in this domain?

Intel manuals.  :biggrin:

Quote from: LoGiCaL__ on April 19, 2018, 12:54:53 PM

That's fine, did you write some code already?

Cool, i'll look into the intel manuals. Also, yes I have been writting code. I've been working through the examples in the MASM32 directory to get the basics down. I'm really enjoying it so far.

felipe

Writing code is great way to learn. You can also share your code, posting here and do some questions if you have. Reading is a good way too.