Author Topic: Tiniet portable executable  (Read 344 times)

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
Re: Tiniet portable executable
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »
I don't know that game.If you want a challenge what about making a program (doesn't matter the size) that process tiny files that have "the smaller code possible" to tell the program what action to take  :idea:? Now, that's interesting... :biggrin:
Felipe.

Siekmanski

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  :t

I just got inspired from that .kkrieger game (96 KB) and wanted to dive in this adventure of creating a small, useful executable. The game itself states "macros are allowed", and this specific macro I'll create is the most used one; the so-called "auto potion"; just presses Q, W and E indefinitely.

I understand the suspiction, though. I could quickly code a C program to do that. Just wanted some challenge.

Isn't that the Farbraush production where they tested the first kkrunchy packer?
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as their strategy.

Jean-Marie

• Waiting for TASM 6.0
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »
I remember Peter Ferrie had made an article on the smallest possible executable, but I can't find it back.
I found this page which explains where to insert some code in the header section.
http://pferrie.000webhostapp.com/misc/tiny/pehdr.htm
This can be helpful.

zedd151

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
.... which explains where to insert some code in the header section.
This can be helpful.
Which will also set off alarm bells from AV software.

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
This was all discussed in the AM thread.
It is also not possible to modify PE headers with MASM, you need to use a clone like UASM.
With UASM we can obtain a small .exe of around 200 bytes able to run on win xp, vista, 7 and 10.
We made experiments to make the .exe as small as 103 bytes but it failed to run on more recent OSs.

And we have also explored how small a 64-bit .exe we can obtain.

BTW, we can also make small .exes in C with about 1KB, I think with talked about that as well in the AM thread (or in another).