Author Topic: New format MASM64 Help File.  (Read 300 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
New format MASM64 Help File.
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:39:06 AM »
I have been busy in the last week, designed the format that eventually escapes the vagaries of Microsoft help formats, wrote a dedicated RTF editor and the can that holds the help file data. I still don't like the link notation but I have not had time to research the version that Miniero posted but the technique works well, the data is clear and overall the method is fast. The attached EXE is compressed with an EXE compressor which may trigger some AV scanners but if necessary I will post 2 versions, compressed and uncompressed.

At the risk of imposing on anyone, I would be interested to see if it runs OK on different Windows and language versions.

Get the version below.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:53:17 PM by hutch-- »
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

nidud

• https://github.com/nidud/asmc
Re: New format MASM64 Help File.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:33:30 AM »
The about option appear to add or duplicate some of the text in the same window but I assume this is just for testing the links which seems to work okay (Win7), but it looks good  :t

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
Nice new format, seems to work ok here. The save file option works fine and with the open file option, one must to specify the .rtf extension, to be detected for the application  :idea:. And seems to open it well then. :icon14:
Felipe.

zedd151

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 02:19:05 AM »
Quote from: hutch--
At the risk of imposing on anyone, I would be interested to see if it runs OK on different Windows and language versions.

No Imposition at all.  You are the sole reason we are all here together on this great forum.  I will look at the new help file format right after work.

If it weren't for you hutch,  none of us would be here.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:22:06 AM »
Works fine on Win7-64, although I miss the find function. Tree structures are not my cup of tea, I need a list of matches for "mem" or "file" 8)

Code: [Select]
  alignup
    alignup reg, 16         ; align address to next address below

aligndn
    aligndn reg, 16         ; align address to next address above

alignup = address below? Is that intentional? It sounds counterintuitive...

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 02:32:40 AM »
Thanks, I will have to fix that. Mainly at the moment need to know if it displays correctly on different OS and language versions and that the links work OK.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 03:41:32 AM »
Hi Hutch,

Thanks, it works fine on XP 64-bit.

Siekmanski

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 05:00:59 AM »
I like it, especially the different font colors, easy to read this way.
The link system is cool too.

Works on Win8.1 64 bit.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as their strategy.

zedd151

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »
Works fine on Windows 10 Home 64 bit.   :t

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 06:45:56 PM »
I have fixed the couple of stuff ups, add a fair bit more to the macros which are coming close to complete and I have 1 example in the library modules to make sure it all worked. I have added hotkeys for "home" and the two sub menus for macros and library and it all seems to be working OK at the moment. It will both load and save RTF format files but I don't know how useful that is. It works but I find it slow after direct memory loads of the same data.

I soon have to start on the daunting task of 110 library modules.
hutch at movsd dot com

jimg

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 12:01:25 AM »
First off, it seems to work fine.

One small problem is it comes up with the scrollbars showing on startup when they weren't necessary, and they act a little strangely.  After shrinking the window to where the scrollbars would actually be needed and the re-expanding the window, the scrollbars work normally.

One small complaint.  I think I saw someone mention it earlier, and I agree.  The ability to move back to previous with the back/forward buttons on the mouse would be appreciated.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 12:43:23 AM »
Jim,

The scrollbars are a quirk of rich edit, I doubt there is much I can do about it but its not like it matters much. The "Back" idea would be very difficult to do with this design. Any page can access any other page by having a link so its a single plane form of logic with no hierarchy at all. It would involve a form of text stack and while it can be done, its very untidy to make. Much the same with a "search" in that the only thing it can find if done is the categories that different functions are placed in.

The design trades complexity for speed and with a one link depth to the two main menus, finding functions should be fast enough.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 05:44:42 PM »
I found a trick where I could load an array in sequence for the selected topic strings so I have the "back" selection done and it seems to work OK.
hutch at movsd dot com