Author Topic: PHUN with a 4tb HDD.  (Read 436 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
PHUN with a 4tb HDD.
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:07:56 AM »
I have been using this disk for most of my video but today when I processed a set of test videos, I started to get playback errors and the Microsoft Media Player is very bad mannered with disk quirks. After tracking down everything else, I started to run tests with chkdsk so I wasted about 4 hours trying to fix it with an incredibly slow sector check but gave up and copied the whole disk to other HDDs on the box.

I was not getting a lot of sense from any analysis which kept showing there was no errors so after copying it all elsewhere I formatted the disk and did all of the checks again and could find nothing wrong. Copied some of the original content back to the disk and it all works OK. I have seen in the past that data on a HDD can get old and while this should not be a problem as the stuff I loaded onto it today was not old.

It is showing a "Relocated Sector Count" fail.

Being a suspicious person, my guess is the disk has problems even if I cannot find them so it looks like I will have to replace it. Mutter ....

LATER : Just ordered a WD 4TB RED on eBay.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

daydreamer

• reach for the stars
Re: PHUN with a 4tb HDD.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:47:55 AM »
very annoying  with harddrive dont work,whatever you do to try to fix it
I only have a file folder x gb,with Icon changed to a harddrive Icon left after one hd I had Before I wasted much time with try to correct it
recently I had trouble with a usb harddrive to print out some old pics,the printer hanged itself over try to handle several thousands pics,so I had to buy a small usb stick to load with the few pics I wanted to print and connect that to printer instead
hope you have some guarantee to use to get Money back?

Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die.
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*

sinsi

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
A hard drive has spare sectors, when a read/write error occurs on a sector it is marked as unusable and replaced by a spare one.
All of this is internal to the drive, an OS can't see the spare or unusable sectors.
If the drive is failing, you will eventually run out of spares, that's when the OS starts having problems.

One way to tell before it totally dies is listening to the drive, if you hear it "thrashing" there might be a problem since the spare sectors won't be contiguous.
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 12:20:01 AM »
I seem to have been fortunate that I got everything off it intact as I found it early but I tried writing some video to it today and the reads were starting to fail again so the only solution is the new WD 4tb RED that I have ordered from a vendor on eBay. The drive that failed is a 4tb Seagate so there will be no more of that model.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:51:48 AM »

mineiro

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »
Yes sir sinsi;
These new hard drivers have internally a table. When this table get fully filled with remaped "bad blocks" so that message comes out.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
Had to extract it as it was starting to prevent the machine from booting properly. A 4TB Seagate Barracuda which was supposed to be one of their good ones. I should have the WD 4TB red early next week. I have never had to bother in the past with resizing partitions but it has come in very handy as the damaged disk had a small partition at the front of it so I compacted the partition before it which is one another disk and stuck it on the end so I am only one partition down and for what I use it for a single 4TB partition is the best choice.

I just had a look at my older i7 as it has a 4TB Seagate disk that I could "borrow" but it would be so much hassle to get it out that I will wait for the new one to turn up next week.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:28:30 PM »
Just for curiosity: How much space do the old & new forums occupy?

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
The WD red 4tb turned up today so I plonked it in, benchmarked it and I am loading the contents of the previous disk back into it at the moment. Disk benchmarks at about 180 meg/sec so all is well. These are designed for NAS types of tasks so I might add a couple more over time as most tasks don't need real speed and reliability is more important when you have a lot of data to store.

I have an order of priority with disk based tasks, if I need real speed and no disk thrashing, I do it on a ramdisk, if its fast storage and fast data read, it goes on SSD, otherwise it goes on a normal HDD. I do all of my dev work on a normal HDD as it is easily fast enough for compiler/assembler results.
hutch at movsd dot com

zedd151

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 02:10:44 PM »
That is a huge HDD! I could only imagine filling it maybe 2-3% But then again, I don't have a whole lot of interest in storing video or any other huge data.

I guess if it's good enough for NASA....    :biggrin:

I can only hope for a few hundred GB (severely needed - btw), which will be coming shortly. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:38:06 PM by zedd151 »
I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have my moments.  :P

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 03:35:00 PM »
Z,

What size disk does you computer take, not its storage capacity but its physical size. With a large case desktop I use the normal 3.5 inch types but I know you can get 2.5 inch versions for laptops.
hutch at movsd dot com

zedd151

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
Z,

What size disk does you computer take....

Unfortunately from what I have read, the eMMc drive in this little box is embedded. (otherwise it should be 2.5") Which most likely means I would have to send it to Dell for a HD upgrade - if at all possible - which will not happen any time soon.

The other laptop I have as well as the other netbook both take 2.5" drives - both with standard SATA connections. Both 32 bit.

I haven't been brave enough to pull this sucker apart to see what IS inside, fearing the inability to put it back in like-original running condition. I once had all the screws removed, but didn't want to pry on it to get it apart. They put these things together like a chinese puzzle. (Oh wait it probably WAS made in China)  :P

For time being (until the trial limit runs out) I am running Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit. Takes up only 5.6 GB of HD space on this somewhat less than advertised 32 GB drive space, leaving plenty of room for anything else I want to put on it. I installed it on a singular MBR (not GPT) partition. Seems faster than the bloated WIndows 10 - but thats another topic.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 05:16:24 PM »
 :biggrin:

A couple of years ago the guys up the road gave me a small desktop with a 2.8 gig Pentium Northwood processor in it. It had this horrid little 40 gig HDD but fortunately it took 3.5 inch drives so I pissed the small one off and put one of my left over 1tb drives into it and suddenly it turned into a more or less useful computer. Put one of my left over copies of XP into it and it ran OK. Trouble is I could not find a use for it so apart from dumping some bits and pieces onto it, it sits under a table in another room.

I take your point about working on things that are jammed together like sardines, you had to pull half of it to bits to change the drive and then work out how to make it all fit back in the can.
hutch at movsd dot com

zedd151

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
I take your point about working on things that are jammed together like sardines, you had to pull half of it to bits to change the drive and then work out how to make it all fit back in the can.

Luckily the other two have easy access panels for the HD, Memory, Wireless card, etc.  For the money I paid for this little 'puter I'm not complaining too much. If I can get a hold of a copy of Windows 7 or even 8 for the laptop, I'll be a happy camper. It has better possibilities for upgrading the hardware. It's only 32 bit though. But for now I don't see that as a major problem.