Author Topic: Corrupt MFT  (Read 276 times)

zedd151

Corrupt MFT
« on: June 22, 2018, 04:48:15 AM »
or economical reasons (no extra money to spare) I have been using an SD Card for extra storage. Things like OS and driver backups, software installers, all of the source code I have been able to recover of mine from various places, etc, etc... Has been working out OK so far.

Just found I could not access that drive due to MFT corruption.   :(

I am running a partition recovery tool on it as I type this. EVERYTHING outside of this OS and a Windows To Go flash drive will be lost, if I cannot retrieve at least a portion of what I had on there (64 GB SD Card, 45 GB of data stored)

>>------------------------- A little while later -----------------------------

the partition recovery tool is at 37% the only partitions found so far are 7 NTFS stubs (3.01 MB each), Downloading 'recuva' maybe that way can recover at least some of my stuff.

So much for using a drive no bigger than a finger nail.  :icon_rolleyes:
I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have my moments.  :P

zedd151

Re: Corrupt MFT ---> Update
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:57:39 AM »
While posting the edit below on my smartphone accidentally deleted the portion that was here.   :redface:
Anyway, it described that I downloaded 'Recuva', and found many files that would have been lost otherwise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit == .....
--- still later ---

Recovered much of what was almost lost.  But for files within folders, I'm at a loss. The reason is that the files are no longer associated with any given folder..  The folder structures have been lost.  In a rare case I did manage to get the files for one folder.
But most of the recovered files were stand alone install.exe's,   iso files,  archive files,  (zip, 7zip, rar)  and the like.

On my "to do list" is definitely an external hard drive for all of my junk.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:01:00 PM by zedd151 »

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Corrupt MFT
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
Hey, Masm32 is the best resource that a writer of stupid bots could think of  :badgrin:

zedd151

Re: Corrupt MFT
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
Can you explain more or recommend a good resource?

Sure...

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Cleaning-Trash-Recycling-Recycling-Bins/N-5yc1vZcb26

:biggrin:

As a side note, I have backed up a majority of the recovered data to DVD.