News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Old Intel manuals

Started by felipe, June 22, 2018, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

felipe

I want to share with all of you a link of a page that provides free downloads of old Intel manuals (no need to register or similar). I think the site is of a middle-east man who enjoy of this old stuff.  :idea:

A little history of how i found it  :idea::
I was looking the best way to go from 16 bit assembly in MS-DOS to protected mode in windows. So i took the idea of first learn about the 80286. I even had the idea of making a system from MS-DOS and then switch to protected mode but in a 80286 style. So looking manuals for the 286 i found this site. Later i abondoned that idea mainly because it was to complex for me and because it will be useless i thought, to make a system that will be used just for myself (not even for my family  :lol:.) So i decided then to jump to 32 bit assembly right away, so i came to this forum. I remember that when i looked the code examples i though: what are those names  :dazzled:? where the hell are the registers  :P? Then i undestood that those names where nothing else than equates and that the calling convention for windows 32 bit was using the stack all the time  :t. You have to admit that MS-DOS "calling convention" was more like a fastcall, where you were filling registers with function values and doing interrupts by software  :badgrin:.

Anyway in this site you will find old official Intel manuals: from 8086 to pentium, but also some stuff about the 8085, 8080, etc. Even about the microcontroller 8051 or about the 80387. My favorite manual from the site until now has been the software developers manual for the 80386  :idea:.
Maybe it will be completely useless for all of you, don't really know, but here it is: http://www.intel-vintage.info/intelotherresources.htm  :idea:

hutch--

> You have to admit that MS-DOS "calling convention" was more like a fastcall

What goes around, comes around but Interrupts at the time was closely related to an unreliable means of contraception.  :P

Caché GB

Hi felipe, thank you very much for that link.

Quote from: felipe:
" So i decided then to jump to 32 bit assembly right away"

Your best decision.

Quote from: felipe:
" so i came to this forum"

Even better than your best decision.

Everyone knows 16bit is already dead and not before long so will 32bit. I bet if you tried you could not even buy a 32bit laptop in
a secondhand store. With that being said, you can still develop your own coding style for 32 or 64 bit. And if people don't like it,
well guess what, that's their problem. They can go take a long walk on a short pier. For some even assembly is to high level.

I always enjoy your post and I have not seen you post in a while. I do hope i am reading wrong between the lines and that this post
is not a farewell .

So I leave you with this motto:

Code with desire, discipline, dedication and determination. Then favorable destiny will be yours.
Caché GB's 1 and 0-nly language:MASM

jj2007

Quote from: Caché GB on June 27, 2018, 07:57:40 AMEveryone knows 16bit is already dead and not before long so will 32bit.
Nope, there is a huge difference between the transition from 16 to 32 bits and the current situation.
http://www.masmforum.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=84922e4161101581a5adf71f36c3b1e0&topic=12019.msg92262#msg92262

Caché GB

Hello jj2007.

Firstly I would like to thank you very much for all the time and help you give to so many members on the forum. Thank You.

Been a gamer I guess I've been brainwashed. You are totally correct with what you said in that post and I know 99.999999% of users
won't even know or care if their precious app is 32 or 64. I myself very much love 32bit to code in. IMHO 32bit coding will eventually
fall by the wayside not because it does not work or it is to slow or bla bla but because of FASHION. No other reason.

felipe

Hi Caché GB thanks for your words. The reason is i have been very busy with disgusting works... :(
I have not intention of retire and soon as i can i will start to code again.   :icon14:

hutch--

I doubt we will see the end of 32 bit any time soon. While I have not been writing 32 bit MASM of late as I am working in 64 bit MASM but I still write 32 bit assembler code in my PowerBASIC, half of which I wrote originally in MASM. Its funny to have the capacity to develop code in one environment and being able to use it in another, apart from a couple of minor notation differences, I can use the same assembler notation from MASM to basic and C.

Caché GB

Hello Hutch--

Let me first thank you for providing this here forum for us and more so for keeping it a clean house. Thank You very much.

Maybe we will not see the end of 32 bit any time soon but eventually I think it will fade. Having observed the forum for quite
some time i have noticed an upswing in the interest in 64bit coding. As progress never stops I sometimes wonder if I will even
see a 128-bit processor and OS in my lifetime. Who knows?

Hi falipe.

I'm glad to see you still around. I don't like to see members who post good game code go missing in action.
I already can't fine LordAdef anywhere and he has an awesome game going with his Ascii Raid.

daydreamer

PS2 must have been fun system in the last Days, they had ps2 versions of ps3 and pc games and squeezed out every Clock cycle out of its 128bit cpu and the rest of the system,they did it here thanks to they have sold so many ps2 they just couldnt ignore the old console,wow animated grass etc on console from 1999 something

pixelshaders on gfx card had 128bit many years ago and SSE have long had support with windows to swap its xmm 128bit regs,64bit mode support the newer 256bit avx registers
I hope felipe will come back and code soon,also Lord Adef

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

Caché GB

Hi daydreamer.

I've been looking at the specs of the PS2/3 and what a kicker. I can't but help wonder just how many old satellites are using
it as an off the shelf component in their construction.