Author Topic: what tools did you use and do you use now?  (Read 523 times)

daydreamer

• reach for the stars
what tools did you use and do you use now?
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
Hi
I thought we could Exchange what Tools you used when you started and still of old habit or because it still works great today still use and what you use today
and what new ways you learned later and now?
print out of code and documents on what I am about to code,for example dx9 sdk examples/tutorials in any language to read and understand and use anywhere too write code on the backside of paper
that I found that useful tool,at the beginning,the computer screens was limited to around 40x24 characters,you get more overview with a printout and someone printed out useful asm opcodes
asm opcodes charts:useful for understand how the cpu inner workings both yesterday 6502 opcodes was different by different bits was set,depending on it should use A,X,Y,S
still useful when understand how to make macros for brand new instructions,on older assemblers and understand how things work
and read code only in hex
flow charts, I can use it,but seldom use it,dont like it for any reason but the funny joke flow charts that I seen on internet,"how to use computer for noncomputer people"
computer Magazines was great articles how to multiply on 6502 in assembly,etc,but it has been taken over by
internet,magazines are very expensive,but I did an exception with a Magazine with DVD,howto make some kind of art with Photoshop
it costed extra because of dvd,but it opened up my mind to new ways of creating art

books,atari BASIC book,today I own several programming books,but today you prefer downloadable books
I even wanted to have a AoA and a great code in my Bookshelf,but they said all books was sold out,it was only possible to buy as downloadable ebooks
the optimal would be signed copies of those books

computer rooms in school,where the elder last year students taught us fancy coding techniches for us newcomer has been replaced with great computer forums,like this
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die.
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*

caballero

• abre ojos ensamblador
Re: what tools did you use and do you use now?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
I only use plain text code editors, from ever.
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

- There are 10 kind of people: those who know binary numbers and those who don't -

Siekmanski

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:16:47 AM »
The first program I bought was the Devpac2.04 assembler + a Devpac assembler book for the Amiga, had to drive 300 km to get it from a shop in Germany. ( No internet in those days and back then I didn't trust to order it by mail. )
When a PC found my home I started to use Tasm and Total Commander, switched to Masm a few years later.
Today my favorite programmes are Masm, RadASM development tool, Total Commander, Paint Shop Pro, AVRstudio and of course a web browser.
In the early Amiga days I bought a lot of German and English magazines, one of them had an introduction to demo coding by Jolyon Ralph which was really a boost for my programming career.
Today I have a pretty large collection of computer programming, electronics and mathematics books.
I like to read technical stuff which can be used in programming.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

anunitu

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
Many many years ago,edlin and debug as I said MANY MANY years back.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
This is a silly question to ask a toolmaker (my original trade), hammers, lathes, drills, hand tools like pliers, multigrips, a wide array of spanners and a great collection of power tools, then there are the tools you use for doing building work, saws, chisels, screwdrivers and I own a Lincoln welder as well, a very nice wire feed that I used to use with my last car.

PS: I write software as well.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

anunitu

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
Indeed you do HUTCH,you being almost as much of  fossil as me,so many years so much to remember. :t 8) :redface: :badgrin: :lol:

I should add that in Junior high school I made a hammer,made the handle on a lath made the head and hardened it doing the heating and quenching thing,also made a screw driver (flat blade) this in metal shop,an did wood stuff in wood shop too.

Best fun of my ten years,also did electronic shop in first year of High school. ALSO did ROTC in high school. was on the drill team.

In the navy I did an honor guard for a Marine funeral,did 21 gun salute with two other sailors.

in the snow covered grave site too.

drill team stuff.

https://youtu.be/hxA3_kx9YVk

Honor guard with 21 gun salute.

https://youtu.be/DcOcJ6Pr27Q

sinsi

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »
Many many years ago,edlin and debug as I said MANY MANY years back.
Ah, the memories...
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 01:29:56 AM »
edlin suxed bad - lol
i used PcWrite - a shareware text editor
originally written by Bob Wallace - later bought out by QuickSoft i think

debug was a great tool - in fact, how i learned much about the 8088
not great for entering a program, but great for watching it execute and learning finer points of instructions

as for carpentry/machinist/mechanics tools....
i used to dream of having a complete shop
now, i am too old and tired to actually put the shop i dreamed of to good use

and, i have learned that, if you have the skills, tools, equipment.....
you'll be eternally helping someone else do their stuff - lol
that's why i don't own a paint sprayer - i don't want to be a painter-for-free
don't own a pickup truck or trailer - you'll be a mover-for-free

when i do fix something for someone, part of the deal is they don't tell anyone about it - lol

edit...
maybe my brother has the right idea....
he buys the tools and equipment,
then leaves them at his son's house down in Tucson   :lol:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:31 AM »
> when i do fix something for someone, part of the deal is they don't tell anyone about it - lol

He he, I learnt that one as well but occasionally help out someone I know as long as they don't spread it around. Last week I had a mate of mine turn up with a knackered laptop so some hours down the track after cleaning the crap out of it, defragging it and setting up a decent AV on demand scanner, all was well but the deal was he did not share it around.

You might laugh at this, years ago I occasionally fixed a computer for an old fella but learnt early that he sometimes trashed stuff to get someone to come over as he needed attention so I set up a disk image and the next time he did it, I just ran the disk image which restored the original setup and he had to go and do all of his settings again, he never did it again.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »
i have been caught in the "little old lady trap" more than once
can't resist fixing shit for the little old lady - in fact, you feel terrible if you don't
(shit = air conditioner, tv, stereo, electric, water heater, car, appliance, computer, what ever)
a year later, the little old lady passes and her petulant son or daughter gets all the stuff you just fixed

the trick here is to avoid little old ladies, at all costs  :lol:

anunitu

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »
been there with the computer guy curse ,one guy woke me up at 2am because he DL'ed an MP3,that turned out out be the I love you script  thing. SO I searched and found a good fix,but told him,DO NOT JUST CLICK,use a text editor to check a file,also that an mp3 is NOT 4 kb in general,so what does this dumb shit do,does exactly the same thing again,and comes knocking on my door again at 2am,HE did not get help,he got my nasty 2 am persona. HE did not ask for help again,why I now do not let people know I am good with hardware or computers. Now if they want help,I quote my pay scale by the hour.

zedd151

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
Now if they want help,I quote my pay scale by the hour.

:greensml:

I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have my moments.  :P