Author Topic: hot web browsers, literally  (Read 447 times)

caballero

• abre ojos ensamblador
hot web browsers, literally
« on: July 01, 2018, 04:12:56 AM »
In the case anyone in the same situation. Latelty when I use chrome or firefox my laptop got very hot and turned off. I have discovered Vivaldi web broser and now everything seem to go fine, based on chromium, the open-source project behind Google Chrome.
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

- There are 10 kind of people: those who know binary numbers and those who don't -

zedd151

Re: hot web browsers, literally
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 05:27:16 AM »
or firefox my laptop got very hot and turned off...

They don't call it firefox for nothing..   :P

Yes firefox is a resource hungry browser. I used to use it for the many good extensions it had. Right now I use IE 8, since I'm on Windows 7. IE 8 works, but some difficulty with some site requesting a browser that is not an antique. 
I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have my moments.  :P

daydreamer

• reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:30:51 AM »
is it kinda gaming laptop?highend mobile gfx card and highend cpu?
not some extra space below it so fan is partly blocked?
I usually pull up my game laptop,putting few thing below it,so the fan doesnt need to circulate air,with only few mm between surface it is on
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die.
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*

caballero

• abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:42:21 AM »
They don't call it firefox for nothing..   :P
Yes, I think so :greensml:

It is a humble W7 intel i5 6gb ram. I noticed this strange behavior since some months ago, maybe some automatic update

- There are 10 kind of people: those who know binary numbers and those who don't -

zedd151

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 05:47:44 AM »
Could be too, that your cooling ports are block by dust, debris etc. There is only a very small passage for air to travel around your cpu and hard drive. Have you the means to check the temperatures inside the laptop? There are utilities for that.

I am worried about my netbook. It only uses 'passive' cooling. Meaning no fans. So far the hottest I have seen the cpu is 130 degrees

fahrenheit.  The HD is solid state 'eMMc' design, no troubles with heat there. Not sure how hot the memory gets though.

caballero

• abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 05:54:34 AM »
It is very possible. I clean it on the outside, but I have never seen it on the inside, and I bought it several years ago.

Although vivaldi seems to go pretty well, I think it could do with an interior cleaning, although I do not like to remove screws that can later be left over  :shock:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
That is a good idea, you get far better life out of a computer by controlling the temperature of all of the critical bits, processor, especially hard disks and a number of chip on the main board. I have always used massive heat sinks on all of my previous but this last one had a radiator liquid cooler. As far as HDDs go, mine sit behind 2 x 5 inch fans at the front of the case and they are generally cold.

I have pulled apart computers in the past (not mine) where the entire socket area is cooked and its because it only had the original  cooler on it that was full of dust after a couple of years of running. The processors usually survive but the board does not like it and can cause failure.

Just as an aside, the virtue of massive disk storage came back to me last week when the 4tb Seagate disk started to fail. Has enough room on multiple disks to just back it all up and lost nothing on that drive. New WD red 4tb seems to be a bit faster running at about 180 meg/sec.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 06:07:39 AM »
caballero,

Get yourself a new 1 inch (25 mm) paintbrush, pull the cover and use the brush to loosen the accumulated dust, clear anything that blocks the ventilation and any dust that has collected on any of the boards.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

daydreamer

• reach for the stars
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
I want some xp cpu clock control,to fool it to run at minimum clock speed ala fool it that it run on battery, so it doesn't get very hot when I play old games that are coded the old-school way of run at full-speed at all times

Quote from Flashdance

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »
I only use vacuum cleaners to suck all that undesirable dust. I prefer Nilfisk but many German brands are good as well.  :eusa_clap:

caballero

• abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »
From what I can see through the slits at the bottom, the interior is clean, so I'm not going to open it. Still, I've vacuumed it through the slits. In any case, with vivaldi goes reasonably well, with chrome was heated especially when playing videos online.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »
Caution with vacuum cleaners, they may suck in little parts :(

When cleaning the keyboard, I put a sieve between keyboard and vacuum cleaner. I don't like to dig in the dust for the lost "A" ;-)

daydreamer

• reach for the stars
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 09:10:50 PM »
I only use vacuum cleaners to suck all that undesirable dust. I prefer Nilfisk but many German brands are good as well.  :eusa_clap:
nilfisk been around for very long,dad kept a very ancient one in his garage,the green one with metal bands,that gave a cookie its nickname
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dammsugare_(bakverk)
the worst "vaccum cleaner",I found out the hard way 20years ago,was a PC tower standing on floor,I never had it on floor anymore and duct taped the lowest holes
Quote from Flashdance

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 09:21:20 PM »
I had a Nilfisk GM80 which lasted more than 10 years. Because they are expensive I replaced with a Siemens which is not bad but the house keeper is still crying for her beloved Nilfisk. I guess I need to buy another Nilfisk GM80 for her.

zedd151

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
When cleaning the keyboard...

I'm glad you mentioned that jj, for the last couple of weeks my 'A' key isn't easy to press down. Problaby something fell inside there.

Time to investigate. I would have put it off probably had you not mentioned it.