Author Topic: Adobe Flash Player :(  (Read 67 times)

zedd151

Adobe Flash Player :(
« on: July 02, 2018, 07:58:42 AM »
For a program that i want to use (Instant Demo) I need to install adobe flash player. So I go to the adobe download site And get the installer download. When I run the 'download and install'.exe, it wants to download Google Chrome browser and Google Toolbar also.

I don't recall seeing the option to opt out of downloading the Google stuff.  With a slow internet connection, it will take an eternity
to download all of that. - which by the way is a very long time - when you only need part of the download payload.  :P

The flash player is already 70+ MB, plus add the extra weight of Google Chrome...  (or was G Chrome included in those download size figures from adobe?)

Anyone know a direct download source for adobe flash player ??   :icon_redface:    (NOT the adobe download/install stub) 
EDITED TO ADD!!!

I went back to that download page, and the option IS there to opt out (download size now only 20 MB)

- So nevermind this post or possibly the trash collector can take care of it.   8)    Sorry hutch-----

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Adobe Flash Player :(
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:11:22 AM »
the option IS there to opt out

Yes, it's there, a tiny little checkbox, easy to overlook. I detest Adobe, especially since I learned that all these "security" updates are really updates of the database that serves to send user browsing data to special Adobe clients. Or did anybody ever believe it was possible to write a software that is so buggy that it needs security fixes once a week?  8)

zedd151

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 08:15:20 AM »
.. Or did anybody ever believe it was possible to write a software that is so buggy that it needs security fixes once a week?

Yeah, there is an option to opt out of downloading updates from adobe. But I'm sure therre will still be nags popping up asking me to update.  And I did miss the option to skip Google Chrome download the first time around.   :P

zedd151

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »

.. Or did anybody ever believe it was possible to write a software that is so buggy that it needs security fixes once a week?

I think their downloader is buggy as well - - been stuck at 5% for quite some time now.  It says " downloading but I doubt it...

Nope just checked with resource monitor, the downloader is using a whopping 17 kb/s .   My D/L speed is very low (24 kb/s)  This is going to take a while......