Author Topic: XP Mode and Virtual PC in Windows 7  (Read 447 times)

zedd151

XP Mode and Virtual PC in Windows 7
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »
Has anyone here used XP Mode/Virtual PC together to run xp side by side with Windows 7?

I had them both installed but couldn't figure out exactly how to use them. I would like to hear from someone who has actully done it, rather than relying on possible inaccurate info from the net. --- Yes I know how to use Google.  :P

Notice I said "Had" I inadvertently erased them, and would like to know if I should redownload them. is it worth it?
I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have my moments.  :P

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: XP Mode and Virtual PC in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
I use the Oracle VirtualBox to run 16-bit programs. Works fine and is free, but you still need a license for XP.

zedd151

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
but you still need a license for XP.

I've got the license, and a copy of xp on disk, just wanted to know a bit more about XP Mode/Virtual PC. Like are there drivers specially for xp mode, since this is new hardware drivers are basically non-existent for xp on my machine.

I know that VirtualBox has a workable driver solution to enable running xp on newer hardware.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 01:55:40 PM »
Its your host OS that determines if VirtualPC works correctly. I used to use it then one day when I tried to use it Microsoft had applied an upgrade that killed it and you had that God awful XP mode that was a real DUD. This was on Win7 64 bit. I solved the problem by network connection a real XP box and using TightVNC to run it on my Win7 box. I don't need to do it any longer but I was really pissed off with Microsoft trashing VirtualPC on some bullsh*t excuse of security.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

zedd151

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »
that God awful XP mode that was a real DUD....

What was wrong with it? Just curious.

I have an older laptop that I will 'one day' get a new HD for, specifically for running xp on.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »
Well, it was slow, did not connect between itself and the host very well, really difficult to share data and lousy resolution. VirtualPC used to work well and you could just switch from the XP mode to Win7 64 back and forth with no problems.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

zedd151

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »
Well, it was slow, did not connect between itself and.....

That settles it for me then. I have a slow Internet; no sense in wasting time to download it then. Thanks for the info

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 08:39:48 PM »
VirtualBox works fine for me, but setting it up was not so straightforward. Alt Tab is immediate, exchange via clipboard works fine, and I share my data and files using a common drive, which is configured as a network drive in the VM and as SUBST in the Win7-64 host. Launching it takes a bit over 20 seconds, though; but afterwards I can use my Masm32 environment as if I was in Win7. For example, when I launch RichMasm, I see exactly the same source that I saved a second ago in the host OS, and it builds and runs identically. The only difference in XP is that I can build and run 16-bit code, too.

zedd151

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
VirtualBox works fine for me.....

I think I'm gonna wait it out until I get a hard drive for my old laptop and install XP on it. But thanks to you and hutch for the information.

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 05:47:51 AM »
I think virtualbox is a good tool. You need hardware virtualization features supported from your cpu and enabled in the bios configuration to run 64 bits systems. Also better memory (bigger) the faster will run you virtual systems. Finally if you enjoy a lot of virtual systems (and they are no just "simple" ms-dos systems like) a big capacity from a storage device will help you too with that.  :idea:
Felipe.