News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Register preservation macros for no stack frame procs.

Started by hutch--, July 13, 2018, 08:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

Can't you slot "reglist" in there somewhere whilst you are adjusting the stack?
The good thing about reglist is that in the epilogue the registers are reversed i.e. in the correct order for popping.

hutch--

:biggrin:

> The good thing about reglist is that in the epilogue the registers are reversed i.e. in the correct order for popping.

The bad thing about reglist is that in the epilogue the registers are reversed i.e. in the correct order for popping.

Stack manipulation with PUSH POP messes up the stack alignment which in turn wrecks aligned data larger than QWORD.

jj2007

Some time ago I remember Sinsi writing that push+pop are a no-no in 64-bit code, not because of alignment issues (just make sure you use an even number of pushes...) but because of the shadow space. Unfortunately I can't find that post, and I can't find  a crispy example showing the spill/shadow space problem. Maybe on of you can help out.

But I found this instead (a very long but interesting post by Peter Cordes):
QuoteModern code generators avoid using PUSH. It is inefficient on today's processors because it modifies the stack pointer, that gums-up a super-scalar core. (Hans Passant)

This was true 15 years ago, but compilers are once again using push when optimizing for speed, not just code-size. Compilers already use push/pop for saving/restoring call-preserved registers they want to use, like rbx, and for pushing stack args

hutch--

This seems to work OK as well. I have always been keen to make use of the MMX registers when they are just about useless for much else.

; ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

NOSTACKFRAME

testme proc

movq mm0, rbx
    movq mm1, r12
    movq mm2, r13
    movq mm3, r14
    movq mm4, r15
    movq mm5, rsi
    movq mm6, rdi
    movq mm7, rbp

mov rbx, 1
    mov r12, 2
    mov r13, 3
    mov r14, 4
    mov r15, 5
    mov rsi, 6
    mov rdi, 7
    mov rbp, 8

movq rbx, mm0
    movq r12, mm1
    movq r13, mm2
    movq r14, mm3
    movq r15, mm4
    movq rsi, mm5
    movq rdi, mm6
    movq rbp, mm7

ret

testme endp

STACKFRAME

; ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

HSE

Quote from: hutch-- on July 17, 2018, 11:05:27 PM
I have always been keen to make use of the MMX registers when they are just about useless for much else.

Obviously You never use FPU!!!!!
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

hutch--

You would be surprised.  :P

If you are going to use the same registers for floating point, you use the right instruction for clearing them but in win64 the FP/MMX registers are not defined and you can do what you like with them.

HSE

Quote from: hutch-- on July 18, 2018, 12:12:19 AM
... but in win64 the FP/MMX registers are not defined and you can do what you like with them.
Even if defined... I will not trust very much in foreign functions inside calculations process.

Just in case, try not to develop something amazing trashing those registers  :biggrin:
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

hutch--

The simple answer is use "emms" Empty MMX Technology State. MMX is old stuff and the regs are generally not used any longer as there are better SSE and later instructions but if you want the performance of floating point you just clear the MMX state with "emms". What I have been looking for is a way to use more 64 bit registers that you can get with volatile registers and with the MMX registers you have 8 that can be used to preserve normal 64 bit integer registers.