Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Test Drive  (Read 4809 times)

zedd151

Windows 8.1 Test Drive
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:23:58 AM »
I'm taking Windows 8.1 for a test drive.  The Operating System itself is okay, much less intrusive than Windows 10 but what the **** is with the full screen start menu?  I know that I can right click the start button for a short listing of programs and features but a full screen start menu? Are they kidding??  If there were a way to have a 'classic' start menu on Windows 8.1, without third party programs involved I would do that.

No Cortana here, No Windows Edge, Animalware is running in the background but less intensively than in Windows 10.

So other than the start menu, I like Windows 8.1. It's not as simple as Windows 7, but also it does not have a lot of bloat like Windows 10.
I removed all of the preinstalled 'Apps' without any problems. Try that with Windows 10. Many of the 'Apps' in Windows 10 cannot simply be removed.  It can be done, but then the OS cries foul.

Nugget and Gypsy Youtube channel. New videos twice a week or so. If you like the videos, please subscribe and comment.  :biggrin:

felipe

Re: Windows 8.1 Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:52:59 AM »
You can choose to use the desktop view each time you start your machine. Using the start menu is very simple.  :idea:

I think you will be better not being tied to some favorite esthetical interface because it will change anyway  :idea:. But sure you can send some feedback to microsoft, maybe then you can have a chance to get a similar aspect of what you want  :idea:.

daydreamer

• my kind of REAL10 Blonde
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 09:10:48 AM »
I like windows 8.1
What's next windows you gonna testdrive? Windows 3.1 and police pull you over for driving over the speed limit  :P
my none asm creations
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."

zedd151

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »
What's next windows you gonna testdrive?

Just sampling other OS's for when the time comes to banish Windows 10 once and for all.  Windows 8.1 isn't bad, but the start menu...   ::)
I use Windows 7 more than anything else I currently have available. I am in the midst of installing the 32 bit flavor of Win 7 Pro. I have obtained all of the drivers except for the AMD Radeon video drivers. (Not available) Will surely be a much smaller installation than the 64 bit version I am sure (No 'duplicates' for WOW64 folders {for running 32 bit pgms}) I'm a 32 but kind of guy anyway.   :icon_mrgreen:

Windows 3.1 and police pull you over for driving over the speed limit  :P

Years ago, I did find a copy of Windows 1.0 believe it or not - on ThePirateBay.  I didn't download it so I don't know if it really was a version 1.0 or not., but thats what it was 'advertised' as.
Nugget and Gypsy Youtube channel. New videos twice a week or so. If you like the videos, please subscribe and comment.  :biggrin:

daydreamer

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:48:19 AM »
But don't you get back to a crippled OS without video drivers?
We maybe make some great dx9-11 code and it refuses to work or real nasty slowdown when cpu has todo everything without hardware acceleration?
my none asm creations
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."

felipe

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 11:48:44 AM »
1 or 2 years ago (i think) i found a page with a bunch o windows versions. I installed (and tried) windows 1, windows 3.1 and others i think, in virtual machines (using vmbox). Soon as i found something better to do i delete them all. Don't remember the page now, but i think is nothing ilegal... :idea:

felipe

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:02:30 PM »
Daydreamer, once, i was reading how to program the nvidia cards. Mainly are 2 alternatives: you can use the higher level approach (CUDA or similar) or the high level approach  :P.
The first is like c programming i think, the second is a virtual assembly language. The reason why nvidia doesn't disclose (or make available to programmers i think) an assembly language of their cards is because they always are changing (that's what i readed) the cards architecture.
Is actually very interesting, but i didn't continue with the project because i don't have an nvidia card and of course you want to test your nvidia code in a real nvidia card. Maybe in some future (when i have one) i will do some programming with nvidia cards. They actually supply (nvidia) a lot of help to get you developing for their cards (and i think is all free).
They even have categories for products or information (don't remember too well) like: programming to use the gpu for increase computing power, for doing games, etc.  :idea:

felipe

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
Don't remember too well (as i said) but i think that your virtual assembly code is converted to the real one at runtime... :idea:

daydreamer

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
Good luck if you try pixelshader coding felipe
Very cool hardware that performs cosine,sine in one clock cycle,because of internal LUT
You mean nvidia cg+ toolkit?

my none asm creations
I am an Invoker

felipe

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 07:56:14 AM »
daydreamer i don't remember names, but if you are interested you can find all you need (as i recall) easily in nvidia web pages... :idea:

Adamanteus

• LLC "AMS"
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
Windows 8.1 isn't bad, but the start menu...   ::)
That's could be any as here  :t

FORTRANS

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 10:18:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm taking Windows 8.1 for a test drive.  The Operating System itself is okay, much less intrusive than Windows 10 but what the **** is with the full screen start menu?  I know that I can right click the start button for a short listing of programs and features but a full screen start menu? Are they kidding??  If there were a way to have a 'classic' start menu on Windows 8.1, without third party programs involved I would do that.

Isn't a more or less normal environment just one click away?
That's how it works here on 8.1.

Steve N.

zedd151

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »
Hi,

Yes Windows 8.1 is not a monster from hell like Windows 10, but what the hell were they thinking re:start menu?   :badgrin:

FORTRANS

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 01:11:04 AM »
Hi again,

Yes Windows 8.1 is not a monster from hell like Windows 10, but what the hell were they thinking re:start menu?

Make it look like an Apple iPhone on steroids?  Actually, no idea...

Cheers,

Steve N.

felipe

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 05:45:32 AM »
Yes i agree with fortrans, i think they were thinking to make feel comfortable to mobile users. And maybe to impulse the windows phone OS.
 :idea: