Author Topic: Etymology  (Read 340 times)

UniverseIsASimulation

Etymology
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:30:54 AM »
So, is anyone else here interested in etymology?

I have made alternative interpretations of around 70 place names in or on the borders of Croatia and posted them on my website. Mainstream etymology claims they come from the Croatian language (they certainly don't make sense in modern Croatian), while I claimed they come from some unattested language that was once spoken in Croatia, and that it was possible to extrapolate quite a few things about the grammar and the vocabulary of that language from those place names.
http://flatassembler.000webhostapp.com/toponyms.html
And, when I was satisfied with them, I contacted Dubravka Ivsic (perhaps the most prominent Croatian linguist these days) about them. Somewhat surprisingly, she took me rather seriously (you can see her replies on the web-page by clicking the "show/hide details" links).

Here are some of my favorite etymologies.
The English word "gymnasium" comes from the Ancient Greek word "gymnos", meaning "naked". Namely, ancient Greeks exercised naked.
The Proto-Indo-European word for "catfish", *skwolos, is derived from the word *skwel, meaning "to shine", because catfish has no scales, so its skin "shines".
The Croatian word "crven" (red) comes from the Proto-Slavic word *čĭrvĭ (worm), because the Slavs used to make the red color from worms of the order Vermiculus.

jimg

Re: Etymology
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
Takes me back a lot of years to a tv series call Wordsmith :)

RuiLoureiro

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:53:39 AM »
Very interesting work  :t

mineiro

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »
I have interest on this, please, keep posting, I have learning a lot with a single post.
Have words that doesn't have been translated on other languages.
Inside latim portuguese we have "saudade". this is like "I miss you" but not 100 true. just a aproach.
welcome.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

Yuri

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 09:11:38 PM »
I contacted Dubravka Ivsic (perhaps the most prominent Croatian linguist these days) about them.
An interesting first name she has. In Russian it means a small oak forest. Why would you name a woman an oak forest? :)

UniverseIsASimulation

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 03:25:10 AM »
I contacted Dubravka Ivsic (perhaps the most prominent Croatian linguist these days) about them.
An interesting first name she has. In Russian it means a small oak forest. Why would you name a woman an oak forest? :)
Probably after the city of Dubrovnik. The origin of the name "Dubrovnik" is a bit controversial, but it's probably connected to the toponym "Epidaurum" ("epi" being the Greek prefix meaning "near") mentioned quite a few times in antiquity.

P1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 11:46:26 PM »
So, is anyone else here interested in etymology?
I enjoy looking into where word origins are from.  But I am into Greek especially with all words in English.

Regards,  Michael

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 12:22:00 AM »
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

P1

• Global Moderator