News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

MASM32 for Ubuntu Linux operating system?

Started by MIH1406, October 02, 2012, 11:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIH1406

I have attending a course called Computer Architecture this semester and I found that I have to use MASM.

I am a linux user, I found other programs do the same job for me but in different formats, like: yasm and nasm.

I tried to run MASM32 using WINE but I failed.

Or at least, a masm-like assembler for Ubuntu Linux.

jj2007

Vortex

Another option is Solar Assembler :

http://oby.ro/sol_asm/index.html

QuoteMultiplatform, runs on:
WIn95, Win98, Windows XP, VISTA, Windows 7 32 and 64 bits
Mac OS X (10.5 leopard),
Unix / Linux and other unix like OSes that can link with an ELF libc
Solar OS

mineiro

hello Sir MIH1406;
after read your post I have tried install masm32v11 under linux and worked.
My command line was after uncompress, inside home user directory:
wineconsole install.exe
Then, it was installed under hidden folder .wine.
If you have troubles, post and I can try to help you, I will not garantee you to solve the problem, but I say to you that I will try from this side of monitor.

I'm currently working with jwasm under linux, but after see that solasm accept it too, I will try it.

mineiro

The easy way that I have found to make it work under linux was:
Ask for a friend to compress masm32 folder and send it to you, so you just need uncompress it under some folder and use wineconsole to do the job.

Remember that have some rules to be followed if you are using masm under linux, because you can only create programs to be microsoft compatible.

Gunther

Hi MIH1406,

the best way to run MASM under Linux is the WINE. Also possible is to use GAS with intel_syntax noprefix; that enables the Intel syntax for GAS. The rest is easy. Good luck.

Gunther

You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

hutch--

I personally don't see why more people don't use GAS with its newer Intel notation. You are no longer bound to that horrible AT&T notation and GAS performs fine. It feels a bit "agricultural" after using MASM but it does have that real assembler [tm] feel and you can use the Linux linker with it. (LD I think).

Gunther

Steve,

Quote from: hutch-- on October 06, 2012, 01:00:48 PM
I personally don't see why more people don't use GAS with its newer Intel notation. You are no longer bound to that horrible AT&T notation and GAS performs fine. It feels a bit "agricultural" after using MASM but it does have that real assembler [tm] feel and you can use the Linux linker with it. (LD I think).

yes, that's the point. And yes, the Linux linker is ld.

Gunther

Vortex

The AT&T notation is unusable, that's true. If I am not wrong, FreeBasic is using GAS too.

Gunther

Hi Vortex,

you're right: The AT&T syntax needs a large habituation. :icon_cool: The only advantage that I can see is that: the source, destination syntax did help me to master the PowerPC assembly languge, because that boxes have Motorola processors built in.

Gunther

Lassar

Question ?

Is gas compatible with masm syntax.

hutch--

Lassar, simple answer is no but GAS will do standard Intel notation if you set that option. To use direct MASM notation you can use JWASM if you have some reason not to use the original Microsoft ML.EXE.

MichaelW

Quote from: Vortex on October 06, 2012, 08:21:20 PM
If I am not wrong, FreeBasic is using GAS too.

Yes, the default backend code emitter outputs Intel-syntax GAS code, but there is also a gcc backend in development.
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

Vortex

Hi MichaelW,

Any chance to get a preview of the gcc backend?

goofprog

Try DosBox maybe it works with MASM under linux.