News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Question about Iczelion

Started by psychoticflora, September 30, 2018, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychoticflora

Hey. I'm a new user, 18 yrs old and from the UK. I recently started to learn x86 assembly and I've been using Iczelion's tutorials. I also plan on going through his Windows PE tutorials and then reading the Windows Internals book. Of course, Iczelion's tutorials are very old nowadays, even though they are still useful. I'm sure the old 1990s/early 2000s website style would put many new learners off, but I am a bit of an internet historian (having done several projects that required me to look back through many old webpages), so it actually makes me quite intrigued when I come across such websites.

At some point when reading Iczelion's tutorials, I decided I would like to learn a bit more about the person I was reading from, but there seems to be very little info about him online. Therefore I was just wondering if anyone has any relevant info about him they would like to share (such as other projects he's been involved in, where he disappeared to, et cetera). Thanks in advance for any responses!

felipe

hey psycothicflora, did you try with the cops?  :badgrin:

Welcome btw... :eusa_dance:

daydreamer

Welcome
I Think that question is needed to be answered by Hutch
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

hutch--

Iczelion retired in about 1999 and deliberately took his identity and privacy with him, issues like life, wife, work etc .... is why he retired, his identity will never be revealed.

Mikl__

Hi, psychoticflora!
It is link for download russian computer underground magazine "Hacker" (2002 #45). There is the tiny article about Iczelion on 27th page. There is also a small article about hutch--

anunitu

somewhere I read he was a doctor in training,before he went silent..hutch??

avcaballero

Interesting magazine. Unfortunately copy/paste doesn't work on my system to the Google translator :shock:

Caché GB

OK, in Assembly I cut my teeth on both Kip Irvine and Iczelion. Now this is where it gets interesting
for me. Later I found out that Irvine is a karateka (Taekwondo) and now I see this picture of Iczelion
performing a Choku-zuki (Straight punch) and wearing a karate gi. In the article link by Mikl__
it says Iczelion lives in Thailand, where the most popular martial art is Muay Thai. However the most
popular style of karate there is JKA Shotokan Karate (Japan Karate Association). Now the burning question
for me is ... Does/did Iczelion practice JKA Shotokan, the same as I do?

Anyway caballero the article translates roughly to:

36 years old. He is married and has a family. Lives in Thailand.
Works for the government.
Assembler is the first language he learned.
It happened 10 years ago, right after graduation.
Iczelion then could not distinguish the monitor from a mouse.
The guy who worked with him in the office had his own computer.
Future maestro then just wanted to play with it, but a colleague
decided not to let him behind the keyboard until he learnt how to use it.
As the first book from his colleague Iczelion received Peter Norton's "guide for IBM/PC and PS/2".
In it, in the section on programming languages, he found the lines: "only Assembly language allows
you to use the power of your PC in full...".
These words marked the beginning of a long journey that resulted in another brilliant low-level
programming expert.
Now Iczelion is world-renowned for his leadership in writing code in assembler for Win32.
Caché GB's 1 and 0-nly language:MASM

Mikl__

Hi, Caché GB!
I think it is a fake photo of Iczelion. Maximum, what a journalist could - communicated with him via e-mail. Pay attention to the year of publication - 2002, then Skype was not yet. I will not exclude the journalist could even came up with this talk...

Caché GB

Hi Mikl__

You are right. Knowing how journalists operate.

"...OOO he's from Thailand. OK let's take a random picture of some Korean wearing a Japanese karate suite,
past a band over the eyes and no one, except two people in the world who won't say a thing, will be the wiser.
...OOO it's the end of the month, can I get my pay check now."
Caché GB's 1 and 0-nly language:MASM

HSE

And Huch's picture, is only somebody with an australian hat?

:biggrin:
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

hutch--

:biggrin:

I have terrible news for you, I found the two photos and they are both fakes, I am one of the few people who knew what Iczelion looked like 18 years ago and he never looked like that. You can be sure that the photo of me is a fake as the camera did not break.  :P

Iczelion retired without anyone knowing his personal details as he had a life, a career, got married, work and probably kids by now. I hear see and speak no evil, you will get nothing out of me.

Mikl__

Thank you hutch--, but you know the forbidden knowledge attracts a curious man even more.

psychoticflora

Interesting article, thanks for all the responses!