Author Topic: A question about what are useful constants.  (Read 405 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
A question about what are useful constants.
« on: October 04, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
I have been adding extra capacity to the FP calculator I posted recently and among the additions are 4 constants that may be useful in general purpose calculations.

I know we have people here with extensive experience in mathematics like Ray, Rui and many others, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction.

So far I have included,

pi
euler
root2
golden

The constants are easy enough to get as there are many lists available but logic rather than maths is my area and I am not familiar with many maths constants so any useful suggestions for general purpose calculations would be welcome.

I don't have a real feel for maths and see it as a cipher and hold the view ALA Bertrand Russell that the foundation of mathematics is in logic. As far as my maths skills (apart from computers) I work on this theory.

Using 10 fingers (8 & 2 thumbs).

Eenie
Meanie (not blue meanies)
Miney
Moe (without Larry and Curley)
Catch whatever by the toe
Unless she squeals don't let her go
You ho ho ho.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Siekmanski

Re: A question about what are useful constants.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
DEG_RAD      equ  0.01745329251994329547 ; = degree to radian = pi / 180°
RAD_DEG      equ 57.29577951308232286465 ; = radian to degree = 180° / pi

convert degrees to radians: Radians = Degrees * DEG_RAD

convert radians to degrees: Degrees = Radians * RAD_DEG
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

RuiLoureiro

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
Hi Hutch,
             I never need to know more than you already know. The calculators define only pi because they use functions e^x, sqr(x), etc. But a good idea was given by Siekmanski: converter factors.
I would say that you may try to implement a simple function as sqr(x)- i dont know if it is easy to you or easy to implement in your calculator.
My TheCalculator only uses 2 constants: pi and e. But we may get "e" typing "e" or e^1 because it does e^z (z is any complex number a+ib). It doesnt need converter factors because we may use functions sin or sind, cos or cosd, arcsin, arcsind, etc. And if we need we define typing a=180/pi or b=pi/180 and then we may use a or b.
I am answering now because i saw this topic now. I am sorry.

LATER: and thank you for your kind words :biggrin:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:56:02 AM by RuiLoureiro »

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
Thanks Rui,

Most of the maths are very simple in the calculator, the difficult part was making an interface that displayed the symbols properly. There are a number of conversions that are worth having but it will require a different interface to do it and that would be a completely new app.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin: