Author Topic: How to and not to irritate other members  (Read 3683 times)

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
Re: How to and not to irritate other members
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 03:42:42 AM »
That's cool.  :icon14:
It's funny that there are others kind of programming circuit logics: I have a simple guitar effect pedal, which gives you the opportunity to program 40 differents custom effects (based on limited although versatile parameters). And of course you can save them or change then as you want, or even restore all to the defaults... :P
Felipe.

anunitu

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
First go at assembly was on the c64,6502 chip,oh the memories :icon_rolleyes: and talk about slow,the c64 needed assembler in programming. :eusa_boohoo:

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »
I started with the Z80 processor as well and there was a very popular low cost home computer in Europe called Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
What I remember from those times heroic times is that after disassembly I found a major bug in a popular title, wrote to the Sinclair owner, received a reply and the title was removed from the market.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 11:12:32 PM »
I started with the Z80 processor as well and there was a very popular low cost home computer in Europe called Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

I hope you still have the original letter from Sir Clive, it must be worth quite a lot ;-)

The Spectrum was a cute little beast, but I don't even remember if I used assembly on it. Basic, yes, and probably Peek & Poke for some "secret hacks" found in journals :P

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2018, 12:55:18 AM »
I had to go look for it but this was the first computer I ever used. Vaguely I played with BASIC and I think it was in ROM. My mother worked for Honeywell at the time and I think it came from there. It was robust, well made, almost like military equipment but I never had any software for it, only floppies that you could save basic programs on. Somewhere in the early to middle 80s from memory. At the time I was running a business and my HP11c was my office computer, way more grunt that a z80.  :P

http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

AW

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 02:36:49 AM »
I hope you still have the original letter from Sir Clive, it must be worth quite a lot ;-)
Yeah. I have the postcard that came with the gift, signed by his own hand. I plan to sell it through Sotheby's or Christie's  :t

/* ---------------- */

Anyway, the ZX Spectrum with its 48KB RAM was quite impressive for the time - almost on a pair with the Apple II but without the floppy disk or hard drive, although later we could buy Microdrives. With a price tag of around $120, was not a bargain - it was about half my salary at the time.  :(

Lots of software for it, games and business software including databases and spreadsheets. It was for a spreadsheet that I found the bug. It worked almost like Visicalc, the Apple II spreadsheet flagship, but in certain circumstances the data was becoming subtly corrupted, so it could not be trusted for any serious use.

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 05:47:20 AM »
How cool, you guys are living legends, seriously  :bgrin:  :icon14:
Felipe.

Siekmanski

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 06:19:32 AM »
The late 80's was a spectacular time to own a home-computer.
In my home town we had several computer clubs where you could show off your coding skills and copy software.
Those where the days.  :t
Programming information was hard to get on and not very often shared, everybody wanted to be the best programmer and show new unseen stuff.
I owned an Amiga 500 in those days. ( the king of all home computers  8))
I had to work extra hours at my regular job to pay for the phone bills, calling a BBS was the way to gain more knowledge by sharing routines.

A friend of mine also owned a Sinclair ZX Spectrum and he coded some stuff in assembly.
I remember it was not easy to do animated graphics at full framerate on the Sinclair.
As far as I remember we later ended up counting clock cycles to draw at specific horizontal screen positions to speed things up.
The Sinclair had a vertical blank interrupt, I think it was the only interrupt available, not totally sure anymore.
If we could time travel, I would go back to the late 80's for short a while. Not too long ....  :biggrin:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

raymond

• Raymond's page
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »
In 1985, I purchased the TRS-80 that started my computing "career" at a garage sale which I had stumbled upon by accident. The owner was a college student who probably had already upgraded. It was coming with an expanded memory to 64 kb, four floppy drives, a slotted table, a TTX printer with its own stand, and a small book on how to program in Basic. Asking price $500. And another $4 later to buy a book about "machine language" for the Z-80.

The only thing I can really remember which was very useful was that the Z-80 had two sets of registers (one 16-bit and four 8-bit) which you could switch between one and the other without loosing whatever data was in them.

Compared to today's available equipment it wasn't much, but sufficient later on to be able to write a program in assembly for extracting a square root with an accuracy of up to 9,999 decimal digits for any input number (and print it 50 characters per line as an option)!
Those where the days.  :t
Whenever you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.
http://www.ray.masmcode.com/

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
C64, plus the first IBM PC at work (possibly ZA).. came in an armoured metal box, chugging away at a blistering speed of 4.77Mhz.
Had the BIOS listing, DOS listing which I studied over many moons.

Repaired the PCs.. you could then, replaced those 4116(or 7) memory chips and others. There were 'thousands' of IC sockets.. so I was a glorified IT Tech/Eng with the capability of extracting IC's   :biggrin:
I used a Tektronix (IIRC) logic Analyser at the time. This test equipment had a lot more ooomph than the PC itself.. which is funny.
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

AW

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »
I remember the Amiga rivals  :redface:. People owning the Amiga, a minority because they were expensive, behaved exactly like people owning iPhones these days.  :biggrin:

Siekmanski

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
I remember the Amiga rivals  :redface:. People owning the Amiga, a minority because they were expensive, behaved exactly like people owning iPhones these days.  :biggrin:

:biggrin:
Half the price of an Amstrad PC which I sold immediately when I saw the unbelievable capabilities of the Amiga.
The Amiga wasn't a status symbol as an iPhone is, it was simply the best that money could buy.  :t
Stereo sound instead of bleep,bleep.... and those mega fast colorful 3D Blitter graphics.
And yes you are right, Amiga owners had no rivals in those days...  8)

An iconic Amiga demo from 1989. This is the RSI Megademo by Red Sector Inc.
Skip to 15:10 to see a really amazing vector balls part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaZc4y9MXMY
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »
 :biggrin:

> behaved exactly like people owning iPhones these days.

We used to see the same fud from MAC users so the question was, "Are you DUMMMMM enough to use a MAC ?"
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

AW

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2018, 11:20:09 PM »
I got my ZX Spectrum 48KB in 1983, the Amiga came in 1987. I agree, it had a much better specification!
However, by 1987 I was already struggling with a PC with MSDOS 3.3 and a SoundBlaster to make the sounds.
For a moment Commodore had dreams about winning against the PC. Such dreams did not last long, although the Amiga had advantages for games-oriented users.

daydreamer

• watch Chebyshev on the backside of the Moon
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2018, 02:14:08 AM »
So the wife (draakie) reminded me
to add this one: Always count from
zero or else you'll miss an iteration
on your loop.  :shock:
Hope you dont get that habit in a shop that has  "take 3,pay for two" :biggrin:
Anyway
Mov edi,adressofendofbuffer
mov ecx,-64000