News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

64-bit DirectX 11 - Part 4 - Color Fonts

Started by aw27, October 20, 2018, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aw27

Here is the Yves Maurer full article, I thought I had lost it.
https://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/richedit/windowless/article.php/c5367/ITextSevices--Using-the-Windowless-RichEdit-for-Drawing-RTF.htm

TBRANSO1

Nice work guys!

But why on earth are you guys still playing with ancient OS's in 2018?  Christeee, throw those in the heap of computing history.  MS abandoned that form of OS kernel technique from that era and have gone to a hybrid linux/pre CE Millenium model.  The Linux subsystem works pretty well and has 95% of the capabilities of running a full linux system via a VM, and the HyperV VM is great!

I think that more than half of the world either has some handheld device with a different OS like mac, android, linux, or haiwei, or uwp, and the rest that have a computer, most likely are using something purchased with the new apple OS or a windows OS 10 by now.

Anyways, nice job, beautiful.

aw27

:biggrin:
There is not really a huge difference between Windows NT and Windows 10 from a low level point of view.
And we don't reaaly waste much time with Apple although UASM supports it and I have exprimented and posted in the UASM forum.

TBRANSO1

Quote from: AW on January 20, 2019, 07:29:01 AM
:biggrin:
There is not really a huge difference between Windows NT and Windows 10 from a low level point of view.
And we don't reaaly waste much time with Apple although UASM supports it and I have exprimented and posted in the UASM forum.

Yeah, I get it the CPU only sees registers, and binary.

However, I think that the Win CE/7/8 stuff was an attempt to make the OS more micro-kernel (aka minix like) in order to what was thought more responsive and less prone to problems, but that bit them in the arse, and went back to a reworked NT framework and making it more monolithic like Linux, is the way that I understand it from my graduate studies.  So, Win 7/8 are really outlier, obsolete frameworks and a joke and failure in OS design.  So, I think the architectural implementation is completely different, completely transparent to the end user of course.

BTW, do you have the source code?  I downloaded the zip file, but it only has the executable... I'd really like to see how to use the Unicode and DirectX in the assembly. I'd like to see how to add emojis to any code in the future.

aw27

Architecture changes are strongly promoted by Microsoft in the same way that car makers promote the last features for the new car models. Low level software developers will handle Windows architecture changes in the same way people with driving licenses handle different types of vehicles and new features on a particular type of vehicle - not much new to learn.   :biggrin:

I provided the source code for the initial post. Probably I did not provide for the others because were derivatives. Anyway, the examples are basic and you will learn better from the Windows SDK D2D/DirectWrite samples.

K_F

Busy looking at Nvidia's PTX and it's GPU versions.
I'll write a summary doc on this as from what I can see they've gone over the top wrt high level, resulting in a complicated mess.
From there I'll compare AMD GPUs... blah blah blah.

I'm looking at ways to accelerate number crunching via GPU or FPGA SOC, but GPU looks to have more bang for buck at the moment.
So that's the current route.
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'