News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Covers

Started by jimg, November 03, 2018, 04:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimg

This is a little program I have use for some years for various purposes.  I recently updated it so I thought I'd share it for anyone that had a use.

The purpose is to simply block out portions of the screen as desired.  I primarily use it to block out distracting portions of some games and block out everything except the text when I use the kindle reader pc program.

When you start the program it will present a black window with a fake resizing border (the windows are actually borderless).   To move the window hold down the right mouse button first and then add the left mouse button and drag or ctrl-leftclick and drag.

A context menu is available by right clicking anywhere on the window.   From this menu you may create additional covers (windows) as desired.  Only the currently active window shows a resizing border.

edit:
fixed additional signed comparisons error affecting resizing when window is partially offscreen.

edit2:
fixed window truncation weirdness

edit3: previous downloads=104
Added menu item to set color of covers. 
Now loads file covers.ico if available.  (comes with Felipe's icon) 
Change covers.ico as desired, or delete for default app icon.

felipe

:greenclp: I like it jimg...great job, thanks for sharing it!  :icon14:

jimg

Thanks felipe :)

Small update in first post.  Program was misbehaving if window was moved partially off screen.   Changed border check comparison to signed.  Also added menu item to make four covers at a time.

jimg

Updated first post to handle truncation weirdness where if you drag the window partially off the top of the screen, windows would shorted the window by that much.

Program is now compatible with windows XP, 7, and 10.

Also add ability to save one layout of windows for future use.

felipe

Hi jimg, i want to share here my appreciation of your work with a little (hopefully, for the forum sake) picture of how i can use this great tool.  :t

The screenshot was not edited in any kind apart from making it smaller in size. But i didn't any cut of the image or painted on it. All was cover by Covers.  :icon14:

Nice work!  :greenclp:

felipe

jimg i still use covers (really great program!  :t) i was thinking that such good program should have an icon. would you create an icon for it? i mean, when i see this useful program in my desktop around other programs that have icons, i think: "it looks like it's just a toy program, but it's really useful". So i think this program deserves an icon (even if the icon is just a black square)... :idea:

jimg

Sorry, never created an icon in my life.   Not my thing.  But feel free to make one and post it here :)

felipe

Ok thanks  :icon14:, but please don't offend, my icons are pretty simple  :redface:

jimg

Better than mine  :P

felipe

Ok what about this one?

jimg

felipe

thanks, so now what? i got your permission to assemble the program with the new icon or you will do it and you will upload a new version?  :idea:

jimg

This program is hereby released into the public domain for all purposed public and private.    Go for it.  This is not some proprietary program I jealously guard.  Make any changes you want and upload a version :)

felipe

Thanks again jimg  :icon14:

felipe

Ok here it is the same program but with an icon. I just added a minor changes which are commented:

include \masm32\include\Windows.inc         ; full relative path.

uselibs macro libs:vararg
    for nlib,<libs>
        include \masm32\include\nlib.inc       ; full relative path.
        includelib \masm32\lib\nlib.lib        ; full relative path.
    endm
endm

And:

mov wc.hInstance,eax   ; save for later
    inv LoadIcon,eax,600   ; Get the icon.
    mov wc.hIcon,eax

Now can be easier to others to assemble it.  :icon14: