News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

API Reference List

Started by Don57, October 06, 2012, 04:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don57

I work in about 5 different languages, and it is not very often that I get to work in assembler, but when I do I have trouble finding the correct API call. Microsoft keep changing the format of their reference library, so here is an old listing  of API calls I found. It might make life easier.

jj2007

MHT files with embedded binary code, to be opened in MSIE...  ::)
The infotomic site doesn't work any more, just ads there.

Content-Location: http://www.infotomic.com/store/win32tlb/reference_win32.php?subject=1&type=1&categoryName=Windows+Socket+2.0+Functions&category=87

Don57

It is just a list of API's by catagory, it help point me in the right direction. I go to the microsoft site to find the structure for the call.

mikorians

Here's a handy dandy tool I use, I don't know if it's up-to-date enough for your OS.
It's meant for Visual Basic 6, but it lists all of the parameters or constants and lets you place them on the clipboard.
Here ya go!

There is 1 executable.

jj2007

Win7-32: Error 339: DbList32.ocx missing or invalid.

Try instead Windows 32-bit API help file (Microsoft SDK)...

Gunther

Hi Jochen,

Quote from: jj2007 on October 12, 2012, 12:35:58 AM
Try instead Windows 32-bit API help file (Microsoft SDK)...

good link. The good old PowerBASIC site.  :t

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

mikorians

Sorry jj, windows 98 has failed your windows 7
-- not to be mean, but -- It's nice to see it happens on the other end of the OS wave too.  :P

Ryan

Quote from: mikorians on October 12, 2012, 05:48:14 AM
Sorry jj, windows 98 has failed your windows 7
-- not to be mean, but -- It's nice to see it happens on the other end of the OS wave too.  :P
DbList32.ocx is included with VB6, but is not included with Windows OS's.  Sharing VB6 executables almost never work when there is no installation program to catch the dependencies.  Now there is the .NET Framework which can also lead to trouble if a person's Framework isn't up to date.

p3tr0va

Thanks jj2007, that help file is very handy  :biggrin:

mikorians

hutch--

If you want the bulk of win32 API reference, get a copy of win32.hlp, it has a vewry large number of the standard API calls, you use MSDN for any of the rest.

dedndave

i have winhlp, as well as a few other resources on disk - which are nice
there are certain aspects of using the current MSDN pages - user comments, for example
so, recently, i have been making a habit of saving the webpages to disk
when i visit an MSDN page, i save the entire webpage to a folder
they don't take up much space, really
at this point, i have about 150 of the ones i use often and it takes about 55 Mb of disk space
it's not all functions - some structures, some "about" type pages, etc
i even have a few pages from sites like codeproject and Jose Roca's site   :P
if you know html, it's pretty easy to make a little index.html page to list the contents

if the internet is down, which happens once in a while, i can still do programming  :biggrin:

bluedevil

Is there an API reference file that includes user32.lib? (dont mention msdn, i mean an offline documentation)
..Dreams make the future
But the past never lies..
BlueDeviL // SCT
My Code Site:
BlueDeviL Github

dedndave

offhand, i don't know of any documents that are necessarily arranged "per-lib"

but - i will mention a tool that i use that you may enjoy - that is the dependency walker...

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

using that tool, you can find out what functions are supported in a certain DLL
then collect documentation on those functions and associated structures, messages, etc
you can click on functions listed to see the help info   :P

Gunther

Hi Dave,

seems to be a good tool. I'll give it a try.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.