Author Topic: SSD prices have dropped.  (Read 321 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
SSD prices have dropped.
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »
When I built this box about 2 and a half years ago, I shoved in a brand new 1tb HDD I had after the main SSD which has worked fine but lately I noticed that the price of SSD's has dropped by a significant amount so I bought a 1tb Samsung for about $220.00 AU which is about half the price of what they were until recently. Went in OK but it was nothing exciting in terms of speed, rated at about 550 meg IO but came in at a bit under 300 meg/sec, probably a speed limit on the SATA plug I had available but still a lot faster than the 1tb HDD so all is well.

In some of the newer high end stuff the different form factor SSD's if you have the right board are getting into the exciting range, some are getting up to 3.5 gig/sec which is starting to bridge the gap of ramdisk so if you need to deal with massive quantities of data, a new high end SSD is probably the right way to go. It gives you a very useful gradient of data storage performance, ramdisk for the really fast stuff, high end SSD for reasonably fast demand, older of ordinary SSD's and where you need massive storage (terabytes) the better end of HDDs.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Ascended

Re: SSD prices have dropped.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:53:31 PM »
Gotta really watch what you buy with newer SSD's.

Some use new tech QLC, which has quad states per cell. This is very cheap to manufacture but has the downside of less write states than previous SSD's, as having four levels makes the tolerance of what state the cell is in very tight. They are also slower than SLC and MLC as a result.

You do generally get more space for your buck, but the above mentioned is the trade off.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
These are the specs on the evo 860 series. For a middle range SSD they seem OK. I have an Intel SSD as the boot drive which benchmarks a lot faster but at much higher cost. This one is a SATA interface so its nothing exciting but still about twice as fast as the 1tb HDD I replaced.

Samsung 860 Evo specifications
Capacity   250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB and 4TB
Interface   SATA 6Gb/s
Sequential read   550 MB/s
Sequential write   520 MB/s
Random read   98,000 IOPS
Random write   90,000 IOPS
NAND   Samsung V NAND
Controller   Samsung MJX
Cache memory   512MB DDR (250GB, 500GB)
1GB DDR4 (1TB)
2GB DDR4 (2TB)
4GB DDR4 (4TB)
Max power consumption   4W
Warranty   Five years
Endurance   150 TBW (250GB)
300 TBW (500GB)
600 TBW (1TB)
1,200TBW (2TB)
2,400 TBW (4TB)
1.5 million hours reliability
hutch at movsd dot com

Ascended

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »
Just had a look to see what V NAND is. Apparently it is 3D NAND. That being cells stacked on top of each other. I don't know if that is like QLC or something entirely different.

Either way, can't go wrong with 1.5M hours MTBF and that amount of storages packed in.  :t

Mechanical drives are now terrible as a boot drive. I recently swapped out a WD Velociraptor out as my primary drive because it is so slow to boot. That with a Velociraptor, which was not so long ago the fastest mechanical drive on the planet.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
The speed difference is noticeable but I have never had a machine that boots up fast, no matter what its boot drive is. Something the really pisses me off is Microsoft keep dumping junk into my Intel boot drive with their daily updates and while they are cleaning it up a lot better now, its read/write throughput that wears the SSD out over time.

I prefer to use an SSD mainly for reading as this does not wear the SSD out and its useful for regularly loaded software, I can already see the difference on the new 1tb drive with load time of any of my internet based software, browsers and the like so its doing what I need at the moment. The drive/partition that I mainly develop on is a normal HDD but I have already lost one Seagate 4tb drive and replaced it with a WD red NAS drive that seems to work OK so far. I still mainly back up important data on other partitions and on other machines as I don't trust HDDs all that much any longer.
hutch at movsd dot com

anunitu

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »
drive are dropping and used in more and more systems my ps4 i got a 4tb external drive and swapped the games off my 2tb one fairly easy,very good game speed. ps4 games are ranging about 23 gigs each even have one that is in the 40 gig range

daydreamer

• Navy on its way...
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:15 AM »
Hutch why dont you install a brand new SSD as boot drive?I recently got a fast computer with 256gb SSD and it start up and close down very fast,but qeditor(around 26kb )+few kb asm program it,with 550m/s,its microseconds to load and store those programs

drive are dropping and used in more and more systems my ps4 i got a 4tb external drive and swapped the games off my 2tb one fairly easy,very good game speed. ps4 games are ranging about 23 gigs each even have one that is in the 40 gig range
maybe I should go get that kinda big external drive for my newest computer and keep big things there?
they sold out cheap 16gb recently 3x16gb offer,32gb's and thats enough for backup(well you seen most source code and .exe's here,you only need an old 128mb drive)

I like computer RPG's on PS4 ,much game hours/per game when its rpg,guess its probably those that reach 40gig,recent game is Dragon Quest
but I dont spend much time/money on gaming and when you finished an computer RPG 2 times(first time its concentrate on finish the main story,second playthrough with all sidequests,crafting everything and try a different approach on build the characters,for example first playthru Jade is developed with spend most points on Claws skill,second time concentrate point in spears),it just sits unused on PS4's  hard drive after that so I feel there is no need for me to get tons of terabytes storage for it now
I also like AD&D based computer rpgs (BG box with 2 games+2 expansion packs )on PC and try play with different class combinations everytime,I think its where new fast SSD is best used for on old classic PC games,which had several gigabyte uncompressed data that it reads in everytime you move to a different area
what kind of games do you like?
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die.m
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 02:31:07 AM »
Magnus,

I already have an Intel PCIe SSD as my boot drive, was expensive 2.5 years ago but it writes at about 900 meg/sec and reads at over 2 gig/sec (benchmarked) so there is no real gain in going to a later one when the cost is prohibitive. The new 1tb SSD was to replace a 1tb WD Blue that I had when I built this last box. Its a bit over twice as fast and I can see it in the load times of the apps I have on that drive.
hutch at movsd dot com

anunitu

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »
Hutch why dont you install a brand new SSD as boot drive?I recently got a fast computer with 256gb SSD and it start up and close down very fast,but qeditor(around 26kb )+few kb asm program it,with 550m/s,its microseconds to load and store those programs

maybe I should go get that kinda big external drive for my newest computer and keep big things there?
they sold out cheap 16gb recently 3x16gb offer,32gb's and thats enough for backup(well you seen most source code and .exe's here,you only need an old 128mb drive)

I like computer RPG's on PS4 ,much game hours/per game when its rpg,guess its probably those that reach 40gig,recent game is Dragon Quest
but I dont spend much time/money on gaming and when you finished an computer RPG 2 times(first time its concentrate on finish the main story,second playthrough with all sidequests,crafting everything and try a different approach on build the characters,for example first playthru Jade is developed with spend most points on Claws skill,second time concentrate point in spears),it just sits unused on PS4's  hard drive after that so I feel there is no need for me to get tons of terabytes storage for it now
I also like AD&D based computer rpgs (BG box with 2 games+2 expansion packs )on PC and try play with different class combinations everytime,I think its where new fast SSD is best used for on old classic PC games,which had several gigabyte uncompressed data that it reads in everytime you move to a different area
what kind of games do you like?

dragon quest is what i am playing right now,grear rpg game

anunitu

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
the game has a 2 gig save file

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »
@anunitu  :biggrin:
I have a XBOX ONE one and I have a number of games over 40GB.
Grand Theft Auto V : 79.4 GB
BattleField 1: 74.9 GB
Doom: 61.2 GB
FIFA 19: 41.6 GB
I will tell you more when I learn how to play them.  :biggrin:

anunitu

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 06:13:40 AM »
how i s that version of doom?

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
how i s that version of doom?
It looks amazing, i have just single played for a short period though.

daydreamer

• Navy on its way...
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »
on ps4
solid snake I really enjoyed sneak around and shoot enemies and collect many resources and make new weapons
but got tired of it when I spent most ammo just before a Boss fight,so it became impossible to win

completed horizon zero dawn, very great and challenging game,challenged myself trying to take out all enemies on one quest by myself,when it wasnt necerary

final fantasy 15 ,I liked because most of the games are too easy for experienced CRPG gamer,but here you could go the easy route fighting normal/weak monsters and avoid the superstrong challenging ones or go head on the superstrong enemies using everything you got,but much better XP reward

PS3 tales of graces very big game
dragon age inquistion
found newer version of old dragon age,came with all expansion packs
I was one of the few who liked Final Fantasy XIII,lighting returns because it was more challenging with the clock ticking down,maybe has something todo with liking assembly,I mean optimizing the time spent?

Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die.m
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*

anunitu

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 07:29:15 AM »
i am also doing elder scrolls online,that is very cool. takes a bit to figure the menu and moves and keys,but great game.