News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Real APPS real fast with MASM

Started by Raistlin, February 18, 2019, 05:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

I remember long ago an application called QMODEM that was a reasonable app written in C then after a couple of years they released a pure ASM version that was a lot smaller, a lot faster and had a better feature set. I do see the wisdom of show casing high quality assembler applications but it is not without its problems. As I explained to Rudi, make it an open forum and it will end up full of chyte, make it a closed forum and anyone who cannot post their latest whatever will be nose out of joint.

Also long ago in the 1990s, I went out of my way to rub the noses of the then "superior" C brigade in their own garbage with what was then the 6k text editor called "TheGun" and at the time it did the job. To realise a similar task means producing application of a similar ratio of size to conventional apps that have the power, speed and size that has advantages in all of the categories.

I have no doubt that such apps can be done but I don't know of a non problematic way of showcasing such examples and to showcase them, they would have to be very good.

Raistlin

Oh lordy lord, I really did think that prod/joke was old by now AW27. My own opinion about REAL not so tm... was actual thinking processes applied, plus modularity and repeat-ability for the next project in code generation. ASM to my own fract-up opinion (copyright BattleStar series) might need some of it for the new upcoming generation OR there won't be any. Your ideas appreciated dude.
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

TimoVJL

And if only line counts are important, a not so real programmer can make a program to generate useless code lines.
And then only a harddisk is a limit for that.
Even M$ made a some wizards to generate a not so important code :P
Also using some static libraries and useless bitmaps can help to make application bigger, as many C++ users already knows :P
As we know, bigger is better just in p.. films :P
May the source be with you

aw27

The 21 Foolproof Ways To Look Busy At Work and telling everyone that is doing another 10000 lines of ASM code when he just copied it from the MASM32 forum always guarantees a promotion.

LiaoMi

Quote from: AW on February 20, 2019, 08:09:26 AM
The 21 Foolproof Ways To Look Busy At Work and telling everyone that is doing another 10000 lines of ASM code when he just copied it from the MASM32 forum always guarantees a promotion.

18. Always poop at work.  :bgrin:

Raistlin

@hutch--:As I explained to Rudi, make it an open forum and it will end up full of chyte
I should have listened  :icon_redface: A number of idioms come to mind.....
All the best laid plans of mice and men. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
All intentions but the devil's intentions are good. Listen to your elders, betters and all that.
And then finally: There comes a time to choose to turn the page or close the book.
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

hutch--

:biggrin:

Damn, and I just posted my entry into the hall of infamy.  :P

K_F

Quote from: jj2007 on February 18, 2019, 05:57:19 AM
Just for curiosity: Are there people out there who have major sources (>10,000 lines) written entirely in assembly?
Yup... I'm around 15K and counting. I'm only about halfway... I think ;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

jj2007

15k is quite big, what kind of program is that?

nidud

deleted

Raistlin

This mouse is checking out per uber (great) advise.
Don't count your chickens before they hutch.
I really had good intentions about this topic,
but the devil in the detail got to me. Perhaps
this chapter of the thought is better served by
tearing the proverbial page from memory ?
Thanks for your input all,
Raistlin 

K_F

Quote from: jj2007 on February 22, 2019, 06:14:39 AM
Top secret you know  :icon_mrgreen:
It's the Mother of all Number Crunchers where you cook up your own functions..etc - whatever 'tickles your fancy'.
So far it works only on the FPU, but will be extended to the other numerical processes as well as GPU, once I have everything in place.
;)

The funny thing about the code.. is that it's 'blitz-vinnig'.. lightning fast, even with the data file loads, saves..etc.

daydreamer

Quote from: K_F on February 23, 2019, 06:24:39 AM
Quote from: jj2007 on February 22, 2019, 06:14:39 AM
Top secret you know  :icon_mrgreen:
It's the Mother of all Number Crunchers where you cook up your own functions..etc - whatever 'tickles your fancy'.
So far it works only on the FPU, but will be extended to the other numerical processes as well as GPU, once I have everything in place.
;)

The funny thing about the code.. is that it's 'blitz-vinnig'.. lightning fast, even with the data file loads, saves..etc.
aha the program that solves the question of life,everything =42 like in Hitchhikers Guide to galaxy :greenclp:
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

K_F

Quote from: daydreamer on February 23, 2019, 11:53:48 PM
aha the program that solves the question of life,everything =42 like in Hitchhikers Guide to galaxy :greenclp:
Silly me, Forgot to add that.. :icon_mrgreen:
Actually... Yes, it does solve the question of life  :badgrin:

jj2007

Quote from: K_F on February 23, 2019, 06:24:39 AMIt's the Mother of all Number Crunchers where you cook up your own functions..etc - whatever 'tickles your fancy'.
:t