Author Topic: New internet connection (at last)  (Read 517 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
New internet connection (at last)
« on: March 07, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
After waiting just on 3 months, a guy turned up and connected my NBN high speed internet connection today, the only problem now is I have to wait for it to be turned on. He said it would be about 3 hours, 6 hours ago, the phone works but the I cannot access the router yet even though all the lights come on. mutter etc ....
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

sinsi

Re: New internet connection (at last)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
What type of connection is it?

We have to wait until 2020 for a connection, meanwhile we can't even get ADSL. Stuck on mobile 4G  :(
I can walk on water but stagger on beer bourbon.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
That's a pain. This is an old Foxtel area and its called HFC. Supposed to be fast enough, I am supposed to get 90 mbs with the plan I have paid for but I will see if and when its up and going.
hutch at movsd dot com

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »
hfc is hybrid fiber coaxial. it's faster because it reaches near your home with fiber optics and then to connect into your router it uses a coaxial (like on tv) cable. acctually it uses the same cable which your tv cable uses.  :idea:
Felipe.

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:08:13 PM »
i have adsl  :redface:  :(  :biggrin:, but it's still very reliable  :icon14:
Felipe.

daydreamer

• watch Chebyshev on the backside of the Moon
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 02:26:39 AM »
After waiting just on 3 months, a guy turned up and connected my NBN high speed internet connection today, the only problem now is I have to wait for it to be turned on. He said it would be about 3 hours, 6 hours ago, the phone works but the I cannot access the router yet even though all the lights come on. mutter etc ....
so we can expect many more easily uploaded youtube videos from you,when it starts to work
@Sinsi, 4g how many,because using 4gphone while travelling can vary from full bars to nothing
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 03:02:55 AM »
hfc is hybrid fiber coaxial. it's faster because it reaches near your home with fiber optics and then to connect into your router it uses a coaxial (like on tv) cable

That's what I have, about 30 Mbps for download, 3 Mbps upload.

sinsi

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
G'day daydreamer, the 4G connection is usually 10-15Mbps, highest speeds are around 25, usually in the wee hours.
The phone usually shows 1 or 2 bars always. Cost is AU$41 per month for 80GB of data.

I can walk on water but stagger on beer bourbon.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »
I just got off the phone to a nice girl in South Africa who spoke good Afrikan English to see why the NBN connection had not been turned on yet. Went in to check the modem and it was dead as a door nail. Turned everything on and off and no go but I noticed yesterday after it was connected that it was running hot. It seems that waiting for the NBN to work is like waiting for the second coming.
hutch at movsd dot com

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
'African English' (black person speaking English) or 'Afrikaans English' (white Afrikaans person speaking English - this is the typical world view).
There is a difference in the accent, tense and how and when words are used... very distinctive if you know what to look for ;)

Overseas people tend to say 'Afrikan' generally for the 'Afrikaans' people/language and for the African people (Generally non-white, but there are multiple colour groups within that context - eg Coloured, Indian, Chinese, Khoi-San..ect), so the context of it's use is important to decifer which group is the objective.

All groups mostly speak the Afrikaans (Afrikan) language, so it's down to accent, tense and how and when words are used.

Curious as to why someone from ZA would need to 'cure' your problem - sounds like a conn to me ;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »
Nah, my ISP farms out tech support to various places, South Africa is only one of them. The girl was well spoken, I could understand her with no problems and she was on the ball with the tech data.

What is pissing me off is the delay where you must be present for anyone from NBN that turns up and the delay now exceeds 3 months. By the time it ever gets finished and working, it will be too phuking cold to travel to where I want to shoot some video. Mutter etc ....
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 06:51:17 PM »
I got the replacement modem yesterday, set it all up and did a test run and it actually works. The ISP has not set everything up yet but the test speeds are very good.

DOWNLOAD  94.9 Mbps
    UPLOAD    37.8 Mbps

Did a few large download tests and it seemed to be a lot faster, the external limit is the speed of the server being downloaded from.
hutch at movsd dot com

Raistlin

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »
Applying for my fiber line today - after getting rid of the Telkom-ians (hopefully successfully, see: Telkomian thread).
Going for a 100 Mbits Down And Up - uncapped - unshaped - with no fair use policy (FUP = throttling)
All for around $86 per month <--- is that allot or reasonable, as opposed to where you guys are from ?
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »
Sounds like a good setup, optical fibre and 100 Mbit should work well. You will need to test if you are getting that speed but it should be good when its up and going.

I don't know the exchange rate is but it sounds like you are getting an OK price.
hutch at movsd dot com

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 11:49:03 PM »
raistlin, here in chile it would be expensive. a main (spanish i think) company here ("movistar") offers optic fiber with 200mbps of downstream and 100mbps of upstream just for 37,6 us dollars...

But the offer says that it can be UP TO 200mbps of downstream. i think the actual speed will vary because some delays (like traffic congestion as an example) :idea:
Felipe.