Author Topic: Miracles happen ?  (Read 1129 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Miracles happen ?
« on: May 11, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
After being pissed around for 5 months, not only does my NBN connection work but as of about midnight last night I have a phone that works again. Rang a mate this morning who rang me back and they even got the phone number right. While the NBN here in OZ has been a major stuffup due to lousy politics, when you can get it to work, it seems to work well.

The version I ended up with is called HFC which is basically the single co-axial cable that was used with Foxtel but it benchmarks at about 94 Mbit. The real gain is doing an upload where instead of starting it then making yourself a cup of coffee, the 35Mbit upload is something you can sit and watch.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
Re: Miracles happen ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »
After being pissed around for 5 months, not only does my NBN connection work but as of about midnight last night I have a phone that works again. Rang a mate this morning who rang me back and they even got the phone number right. While the NBN here in OZ has been a major stuffup due to lousy politics, when you can get it to work, it seems to work well.

The version I ended up with is called HFC which is basically the single co-axial cable that was used with Foxtel but it benchmarks at about 94 Mbit. The real gain is doing an upload where instead of starting it then making yourself a cup of coffee, the 35Mbit upload is something you can sit and watch.
just wonder if you had rang or even met some of the great Aussie masm programmers?
in the beginning of internet I rang some friends abroad to hear their voices and practice speaking english
its always good to have a good upload speed too,especially upload videos
lousiest connection here is when traveling thru some areas,it almost no connection
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:33:44 AM »
Magnus,

> just wonder if you had rang or even met some of the great Aussie masm programmers?

The only ones I know are members.  :P

RE : Connection speed, I am old enough to remember 28k dial up but you did not get 28k, you usually got far less.
hutch at movsd dot com

sinsi

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:00:14 PM »
I am old enough to remember using a 300 baud acoustic modem on a Commodore 64...

We are still waiting for any sort of wired connection here (metro Adelaide area), can't even get ADSL.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
Is there any decent satellite available around Adelaide ? It surprises me that there is no ADSL if you have a land line to the address.
hutch at movsd dot com

sinsi

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:33:43 AM »
We're in a new house in an old suburb, they didn't connect the phone line to the pit and Telstra won't connect it until the NBN arrives sometime this year. We were using wireless until the company (Vivid Wireless) was absorbed by Optus but the speed was only 3G, limited to 10Mbps.
I got a deal with my mobile, 80GB for $40 a month, 4G speeds (25Mbps on a good day).

LiaoMi

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »

I was recently offered to upgrade the Internet to the Glass fiber connection, the maximum that they offered is 50 Mbits, with double price and minimum ping  :biggrin:, I have 500 Mbit through a coaxial cable, you may notice that the network is overloaded, where the speed drops to 8-12 Mb/s - 64 Mbits, in comparison with Glass fiber 50 Mbits - 6,25 Mb, it is twice cheaper .. providers try to squeeze the full potential out of networks, It’s not surprising if the speed is bad or the Internet network does not expand in the region ...

Siekmanski

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Guess I'm a lucky guy with my internet provider (ZIGGO in the Netherlands ),  upped the download speed to 600 Mbits, upload speed 50 Mbits.
The connections are flawless 99% of the time.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
Guess I'm a lucky guy with my internet provider (ZIGGO in the Netherlands ),  upped the download speed to 600 Mbits, upload speed 50 Mbits.

I can confirm that you are lucky 8)

Siekmanski

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »
 :biggrin:

You will not hear me complain.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.