Author Topic: You can have a win occasionally.  (Read 534 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
You can have a win occasionally.
« on: April 23, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »
As soon as the lock down started with all those folks working from home, my internet connection turned to crap with dropouts and periods where I could not even get a connection. The only trick was to keep rebooting the router and hope it stayed up long enough to post something during the day and this is after I have paid for a maximum speed connection and a fixed IP. Magically it went back to normal yesterday and I have not had a dropout for 2 day so it looks like someone got off their arse and actually fixed it.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Vortex

Re: You can have a win occasionally.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
Hi Hutch,

Glad to learn that the problem is solved. What is your connection speed?

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
I am supposed to have a garranteed 90 mBit in a 100 mBit connection as we did not get the optical fibre that was originally promised. It use co-ax cable that was originally designed for Foxtel video. It will usually deliver the right speed but for a few weeks it was very unreliable. Nearly drove me nuts.
hutch at movsd dot com

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 10:23:28 PM »
Probably an overflow of the DNS/IP database that's kept on the router.

Most likely lot's irrelevant router info floating around that the router sucks up - I cannot remember if one and filter this shit from home control.
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »
I must have rebooted the router some hundreds of times so I don't know how that works. Climbed through all of the settings on the router, climbed all over Windows settings, reset the internet connection and nothing worked for long. Then it started to work correctly a couple of days ago so I think it was something external.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 10:43:04 PM »
Erol,

I just did an OOKLA speed test at 10:30pm and got these results.

PING ms 12
     DOWNLOAD Mbps 94.72
     UPLOAD Mbps 36.87
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 11:50:24 PM »
Hi Hutch,

94.72 Mb\s, that's very good :thumbsup:

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 02:18:14 AM »
The last I looked at it.

A router keeps a routing table which it receives via 'internet routing messages' (I forget the protocol name).
This routing info is updated when ever you click on a link - A 'route/destination route request' is sent out and stored in the table when received.

It should be a last in/last out type of table in memory, but I think the way they do (script) programming nowdays they're miss-managing the memory structures of the router causing it to bomb (one for the NSA ;) ) out.

So a reset (hard/soft) is needed to get the router back into a know working state.

Could also be a lot of routing protocol messages happening on the other (IP) side of the router, which is clogging your tables.
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

mineiro

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
I was watching a video today and I remembered your post; the video said about intense data traffic between the U.S. and China, even quantum computers are supposed to have been used. The source of the video refers to Kaspersky as a data traffic analyzer. It looks like a battle on the deep web. It may be one reason, Qanon.
I did a quick search and was unsuccessful in finding the Kaspersky reference.
https://cybermap.kaspersky.com/

I'm a layman in networks, the least I know is that microcode injection can happen in the router, as well as in BIOS. Today it is possible to update even the processor to correct flaws or errors. What comes to mind is somehow hash the firmware code and compare it with the vendor.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
Somewhere back a few years it rings a bell about a router storing settings, before the NBN connection that was done last year (very slowly) the routers were DSL (ADSL here) and it would block your access to the router if you tried it from a different computer even in your own LAN. You had to turn the router off and reboot it before you could use another computer to access it.

The way the NBN stuff was done is different, you have a co-ax cable coming into the house to its own dedicated black box then an RJ45 connection to the router and from the router I have a normal ethernet cable going directly to an unmanaged gigabit switch. This is so my gigabit network is not strangled through the 100 megabit backend of the router.
hutch at movsd dot com