News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

a quote on 64 bits

Started by felipe, June 01, 2019, 06:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felipe

Here it's a quote from the amd64 volume 1 about the 64 bits architecture:  :arrow_down:
The need for a 64-bit x86 architecture is driven by applications that address large amounts of virtual
and physical memory, such as high-performance servers, database management systems, and CAD
tools. These applications benefit from both 64-bit addresses and an increased number of registers. The
small number of registers available in the legacy x86 architecture limits performance in computationintensive applications. Increasing the number of registers provides a performance boost to many such
applications.
I think even if we develop small apps using the architecture we can benefit from such improvements.  :azn:

hutch--

I would agree with that statement, the big data is the most obvious one but once you get used to using so many more registers you get the benefit of lower overhead and the speed gains from that lower overhead.

daydreamer

so why dont we start a challenge of coding a program that shows how to take advantage of 64bit
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

jj2007

I'm fine with the 16 registers that x86 offers (plus the FPU).

Tedd

I'm fine with my current income, but I wouldn't complain about a 100% payrise :greensml:
Potato2

jj2007

Tedd, what about a 10% payrise for 50% more work?

hutch--

:biggrin:

I would be happy with a 50% payrise for 10% more work.  :eusa_pray:

aw27

I would be happy with 16 registers if I could use more than half of them.
I would be happy with my income if the government would leave me with more than half of it. :azn: