Author Topic: Battery problem  (Read 711 times)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Battery problem
« on: June 26, 2019, 09:20:59 PM »
My Acer notebook drives me mad. After a while, it starts blinking, and it doesn't charge any more. I am not the only one with that problem, googling acer blinking battery yields a Million hits. Original charger, new battery but the old one had the same problem. Now I am running without battery, which is risky, of course.

If anybody has a bright idea, let me know. Btw did The Orphanage disappear from the forum?

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
Re: Battery problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »
Btw did The Orphanage disappear from the forum?

Depend on browser. Last modifications changed the code and some things don't work in some browsers.  I liked to see Recent Post in telephone or TV, but  if you acces directly those browsers don't understand that anymore.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 01:05:30 AM »
Strange, I use the 64 bit version of Slimjet and have no problems at all. The Orphanage is where it always was. If your notebook is playing up I would back up all of your dev work to something stable, a USB plugin disk or even a USB stick that is big enough. Back in 1999 I lost the lost and had to recover as much as I could from the web site and friends. Spare yourself that much hassle.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

LiaoMi

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 03:10:48 AM »
My Acer notebook drives me mad. After a while, it starts blinking, and it doesn't charge any more. I am not the only one with that problem, googling acer blinking battery yields a Million hits. Original charger, new battery but the old one had the same problem. Now I am running without battery, which is risky, of course.

If anybody has a bright idea, let me know. Btw did The Orphanage disappear from the forum?

Hi jj2007,

your battery has squeezed its capacity, need to be changed if your battery is 4 - 5 years old. On all laptops a light bulb starts to blink, a month ago I changed my 5 year old battery. Batteries need to be calibrated every two months. I have done it twice in 5 years, at the beginning and at the end  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 07:13:25 AM »
Strange, I use the 64 bit version of Slimjet and have no problems at all. The Orphanage is where it always was.

I couldn't find it from http://masm32.com/board/index.php but using forum search I discovered that it hides in the Miscellaneous section. Here is The Orphanage.

If your notebook is playing up I would back up all of your dev work to something stable, a USB plugin disk or even a USB stick that is big enough. Back in 1999 I lost the lost and had to recover as much as I could from the web site and friends. Spare yourself that much hassle.

All my sources and all my private stuff are saved to several USB sticks, in my wallet, the house, and the car. Once a week I save everything to one of these USB disks, to ensure that if by accident I saved rubbish, I still have two not so recent but "good" versions.

your battery has squeezed its capacity, need to be changed if your battery is 4 - 5 years old. On all laptops a light bulb starts to blink, a month ago I changed my 5 year old battery. Batteries need to be calibrated every two months.

The battery is new, and has over 5 hours of capacity. The old one had only one hour left, and the Acer showed the same blinking behaviour. It helps for a while to shutdown, remove charger and battery, wait some minutes, reinsert battery and charger, restart. But after a while, the sh**ty behaviour comes back :sad:

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:43:13 AM »
@JJ,
The problem can be the charger, not the battery.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 10:18:41 AM »
I thought of that, too, José - thanks. Maybe. It works fine without the battery, though. Right now it is charging with the battery, everything looks fine since I worked one hour without the battery, then shut down and reinserted the battery... will keep you posted ;-)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 10:46:27 AM »
If the new battery is OK and the charger works as well, then the problem is in the computer itself. Sad fact is you may need a new one but with the current one, if it runs using the charger as the power supply, you don't need to hurry.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

LiaoMi

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 05:43:41 AM »
It seems to me that a new battery needs to be calibrated, otherwise it starts blinking .. The idea is that the charger is trying to charge the battery, but nothing happens, due to the lack of charge and discharge limits, especially new batteries can show this property.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Update: I asked for help in a shop, they tested the charger OK and told me it would cost a hundred bucks to exchange the plug, with no guarantee for success.

So I keep playing with it, and experienced all kind of problems, half-baken solutions and strange behaviour. No pattern that would make any sense. Right now it's blinking and telling me "100% charged". A bit annoying but fine for me :tongue:

mikeburr

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 05:58:46 AM »
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546030/acer-laptop-issue-plugged-in-not-charging-blinking-orange-light/
dunno if it helps jj but i thought all the suggestions to date were good and since you bought a new battery ad tried LiaoMi's recommendation  ... then a driver issue???  then maybe the computer !!! usually if one of the crucial capacitors goes, as happened on one of mine, it refuses to power up correctly ,if at all  and rather randomly and often associated with other random behaviour   and it doesnt sound like that
hope you find its an easy fix
regards mikeb

LiaoMi

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546030/acer-laptop-issue-plugged-in-not-charging-blinking-orange-light/
dunno if it helps jj but i thought all the suggestions to date were good and since you bought a new battery ad tried LiaoMi's recommendation  ... then a driver issue???  then maybe the computer !!! usually if one of the crucial capacitors goes, as happened on one of mine, it refuses to power up correctly ,if at all  and rather randomly and often associated with other random behaviour   and it doesnt sound like that
hope you find its an easy fix
regards mikeb

Hi mikeburr,

would the computer start in this case ?! It is possible that some kind of electronic part has burnt out, but this happens quite rarely. And this is the last thing to think about. Usually, if there are problems with power, then there should be messages in the Windows log. I have surge protection, so I can not say how often it can happen.

Electronics repair school - Hp 15-p245sa laptop, a extremely complicated motherboard repair :))) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dzxMVD-ug&t=414s

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
Thanks, Mike - I had found the bleeping computer post already, and it's not relevant, unfortunately. The charger is an original Acer and tested ok, the battery is new and works fine. It's the charging circuit or the motherboard, and that's tough :sad:

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 03:55:44 PM »
Seems an age related problem, sort of prostate issue for computers.