Author Topic: Windows Defender on Windows 10  (Read 838 times)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Windows Defender on Windows 10
« on: July 16, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Might be relevant for us, given that much of our stuff gets flagged as "suspicious": How to stop Windows 10 from automatically sending virus samples to Microsoft

I stumbled over this when my sample files launched incredibly slowly. Task Manager revealed the culprit is Windows "Defender". This is s**tware, more precisely: Micros**tware. I hesitate to throw it out completely because the Win10 machine is the family pc. On my own notebook, I haven't run AV software for years. Every now and then a Malwarebytes check is enough.

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
Re: Windows Defender on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
I use Windows Defender Security Essentials and Clam antivirus in my Windows 2008 R2 website. They work great and find lots of infected email attachments everyday for free. As we know, common  AV do not work on servers to allow AV companies to charge a fortune, but this Essentials guy does work. Sure, Clam works too, but is better for spam, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:31:02 PM by AW »

AW

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »
Interesting, German Institute AV-Test considers Windows Defender on a pair with the best, within the best 4 to be precise. Protection wise, Malwarebytes==Crap  :skrewy:, in their opinion.

LiaoMi

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:10:34 PM »
Interesting, German Institute AV-Test considers Windows Defender on a pair with the best, within the best 4 to be precise. Protection wise, Malwarebytes==Crap  :skrewy:, in their opinion.

Everyone makes their own statistics more attractive, but this comparison is nonsense ... they say the same thing about the browser, we're the best, but no one wants to use it  :biggrin: I removed windows defender completely from the system, what ranks me as a happy user  :azn:

AW

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
I have no particular complains about Microsoft Defender but replaced it with Kaspersky in 3 computers.
Not using AV is like not using condoms. Only Home sex, very low risk, otherwise better use.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
I ditched Windows Defender because it used most of the available win32 memory, it was never problematic and I don't remember any false positives from it. These days I use MalwareBytes but only for on demand scanning. The last thing I want is for some crapheap AV scanner slowing down everything I do.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

daydreamer

• watch Chebyshev on the backside of the Moon
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 08:11:35 PM »
I have no particular complains about Microsoft Defender but replaced it with Kaspersky in 3 computers.
Not using AV is like not using condoms. Only Home sex, very low risk, otherwise better use.
but what about in the good old days when you used an Amiga(name suggest its a female computer),did you feed it with discettes labeled "P-pills"? :tongue: :joking:
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D

AW

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »
but what about in the good old days when you used an Amiga(name suggest its a female computer),did you feed it with discettes labeled "P-pills"? :tongue: :joking:

I never had an Amiga but it is mentioned in History that Amiga boot sector virus existed, probably the solution was to format (rich dumb kids would buy a new one).
The first virus I found came exactly in the diskette supplied by the internet provider when I subscribed the service. It was trying to establish an TFTP connection. Since I was already an AV payer, the virus was caught, identified and trashed on the spot.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
I got caught once back in 1994 when I was setting up another machine by lap link cable. The install was broken so I went back to the shop and they gave me a copy. It was a variant of the "stoned" virus which made a mess of my Win3 directory but being back in simpler days, I just ran the win3 install that I kept on disk and whacked it in one go.

I do remember making boot sector sanitisers for 3.5 floppy disks and if I ever gave anyone a floppy, if they tried to boot off it, it said nasty things to them.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com

morgot

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 01:07:41 AM »
All antivirus don't like soft, writted in Assembler or C.
And don't want to response to fix false..
Sorry for the bad English

xanatose

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 06:48:25 PM »
To be honest. Anti virus just search for patterns. And they need to do it fast.
So is natural that programs made with performance in mind will trigger false positives.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
morgot,

You solve most of the problem by having a manifest and version control block, if you don't have both, the junky end of AV scanners will flag the EXE as suspicious as they do not properly understand the portable executable specifications.
hutch at movsd dot com

morgot

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
hutch--,
Thank you.
But some manifest can crash windows xp.. I mean UAC elevation (standart manifest of visual studio as example).
Sorry for the bad English

AW

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »
This has been fixed 13 years ago and not much people is using VS 2005 these days.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/921337/the-computer-may-restart-when-you-add-a-manifest-that-has-the-windows