Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1305 times)

Moolvie

« on: July 31, 2019, 08:41:08 AM »
Hi,
I am Moolvie.

This is my first post after just joining the forum.
Assembly has always been an interest of mine but it wasn't until recently that I've been able to start pursuing it.
I am excited about this forum and all that I can learn here.

Thank you,

Moolvie

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Moolvie :thup:

What's your background & history, language-wise?

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 12:34:54 AM »
Welcome moolvie you seem to have a good attitude to learn, that's the first thing you should do to learn assembly  :thup:
Felipe.

daydreamer

• I also want a stargate
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 01:13:26 AM »
Welcome Moolvie
here you can make mostly 32bit and some 64bit windows program,so if you have VC++ background you benefit from already knowing winapi calls that also is used in modern 32bit assembly program,some also use directx api
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

Moolvie

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 01:54:11 AM »
My background is as a Machinist. I have many years of experience in CNC programming and I have written many macros in the G-code language for various machines.  I also have some shell scripting, batch file scripting and a little GW-Basic, C, C++, C#, Python, PHP, a small amount of assembly, Java, and JavaScript. I have recently received an associates degree in CIS information technology so that explains many of the different languages. The shell scripting I learned from books while working as a CNC Programmer, since the software ran on Unix Workstations(Silicon Graphics and HP) and I knew nothing about Unix other than what I had read in books and magazines. At that time the only way to learn was a book of the month club, Linux didn't exist and the Internet had not gone public yet.

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 03:13:28 AM »
Nice background. It's good to keep active doing stuffs you like  :thumbsup:
Just to clarify a little what daydreamer said, there are no limitations to program windows 32 or 64 bits applications using whichever of the sdks. It's mainly up to you. Of course, don't expect to get all solved for you by others. You can start with basics and improve at the pace you want to.  :icon_idea:
Felipe.

Vortex

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 04:14:48 AM »
Hi Moolvie,

Welcome to the Masm Forum.

TimoVJL

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 09:04:05 AM »
nice to have a person in this site, who knows what manufacturing needs.
May the source be with you

Siekmanski

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:13:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  :thumbsup:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

daydreamer

• I also want a stargate
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 08:01:01 PM »
nice background,did or do you use a Gcode emulator on PC or other computer when you where learning it as newbie?
I stick to PCscreen/A3 or A4 printer and GDI or other graphics api ,so I am perfectly safe from wrecking a expensive machine,when I made a bug making things with geometric shapes,the only thing is I endup with wrong look or drawing out of screen
but I guess you maybe have standard to test in emulator before use in machine

Quote from Flashdance

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 08:10:54 PM »
Hi Moolvie,

Its a good technical background to have, I remember the very early CNC machines that ran on paper tape and the new stuff using digital processing and stepper motors should really be a ton of fun.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Moolvie

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 01:51:23 AM »
Yes,
I started on NC machines with paper tape, even ran a mill that had a Model 33 Teletype attached for editing programs. The one of the first PCs I ever saw was an original IBM PC that came with another mill we bought, it had a 10Mb hard drive, 4.77mhz clock speed, monochrome graphics main screen and a second EGA color monitor for toolpath simulation. We hooked up a manual switch to the DB25 serial and used some small programs written in basic to transfer programs to our other machines. 

daydreamer

• I also want a stargate
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
Have you tried run x86 asm code or c the c code thru debugger,you probably feel at home, opcode numbers instead of g code numbers on screen?

Quote from Flashdance

Moolvie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 01:16:19 AM »
Yeah, I've looked at asm code through debug.com in the early DOS days, my first few assembly programs were made using debug. Mostly little command type things to extend BAT files. I did do an assembly course from Computer Shopper where I uses wasm, but that was years ago.

I have always felt at home looking at source, I spent time looking at the iges source, CL (cutter location) files source, which are what are produced from CNC programming software, and the CMM software, PC-Dmis, wasn't all that different either. Most of that was just geometry layouts with stuff like CIR001, 0.0000, 0.0000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.0000, 1.000, 2.5000 which would just define a circle of 2.5" diameter centered over x-y-z zero in the Z+ (0.000, 0.000, 1.000) plane.

Knowing what's going on has always appealed to me. "Don't do it for me, show me how"

Raistlin

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 08:30:39 AM »
So you can optimise gcode  :thumbsup: My Ender 3 Pro needs you - just
kidding - welcome Moolvie, no worries we are all weird here... well some of us anyhow. My PHD is stagnant and my students are vampires. But other members here are professional geniuses and will guide you, like me,  towards the light.
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...