Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1347 times)

torarinvik

  • Regular Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: New Member
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 11:29:32 PM »
I just registered this forum, having been told I must make a post... Here it is:
I am trying the best I can to learn MASM having gone through MIPS tutorials and loving it.
Realized that MIPS code can't run "natively" on a x86 computer I found MASM to be a worthy choice.

My long term goal is to create my own small programming language that corrects the basic things I dislike
with contemporary languages like Java and Python.

I am reading Kip Irvine's book now and enjoying it. But there is some frustration finding teaching material for MASM.
There is so many tutorials that's either for 8086, NASM, HLA or other languages.
Is there a list somewhere or something with books/tutorials that use MASM, Im particularly interested in macros(for extending the language).
Thank you for letting me join this forum.

Biterider

  • Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 464
  • ObjAsm32 + ObjAsm64 = ObjAsm
    • ObjAsm
Re: New Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 11:58:05 PM »
Hi torarinvik
Welcome aboard  :tongue:
There is the ancient but still usable documentation of MASM 6.1 on the net http://people.sju.edu/~ggrevera/arch/references/MASM61PROGUIDE.pdf
I recommend you to start with it to learn the basic concepts about macros and other stuff.

Regards, Biterider

jj2007

  • Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10112
  • Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: New Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 04:16:10 AM »
Im particularly interested in macros

Check MasmBasic.

torarinvik

  • Regular Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: New Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 09:30:48 PM »
Thank you very, very much. The MasmBasic Im sure it will help me later on as a referance page.
Im more on the level of "mov eax, 42" hehe. I started earlier with C but quickly found out the need to memorize things rather than understand it.
I find assembly much easier because it has a more direct 1 to 1 connection with what the computer does. So I can understand what the
commands do rather than just "accept conventions" and copy/paste code.
I have to say it again: I love macros, I can't wait to learn to use them. Is it true that MASM have particularly, if not the most powerful
macro system known to man, maybe with the exception of Common Lisp? Also is there any information on Bootstrapping compilers with MASM or is this
such an advanced concept that people  figure it out themselfs when they get to that level?
Last question does the MASM 6.1 documentation use the DOS API's only or does it support contemporary Windows API's?
 Thanks again for the advice, I can't wait to learn from you experts. :)

jj2007

  • Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10112
  • Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: New Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
The Masm 6.1 docs do not cover the Windows APIs. Check my page for some links on docs, including a ref to a fairly old but extremely useful Win32 help file. It will cover 99% of your needs; google msdn whatever for the other 1%.

TimoVJL

  • Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 495
Re: New Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 11:33:16 PM »
May the source be with you

torarinvik

  • Regular Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: New Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 12:29:36 AM »
Thanks guys!

daydreamer

  • Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1156
  • I also want a stargate
Re: New Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 01:59:49 AM »
Welcome torarinvik :thumbsup:
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)