Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Debugger problems with Visual Studio 16.2.3

Started by Biterider, September 05, 2019, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biterider

Hi
A few days ago I updated my community version of Visual Studio to version 16.2.3. It was last weekend that I noticed that the "Local" window wasn't able to show structure members like those from WNDCLASSEX. On the right side of the symbol, "Unknown error" was shown.
I deinstalled an reinstalled VS to be sure I didn't mess up something, but nothing. Same result.  :sad:

Does any of you that use VS have a similar issue?

Regards, Biterider

Biterider

aw27

I don't know what is the Local window.
There is a Locals window and works fine,

sinsi

Biterider

Hi
Updated to 16.2.4 yesterday but the problem still persist.  :sad:
Symbol files (pdb) are loaded correctly (MS server and local files).
I'll try another debugger to see if there is a problem somewhere else...

Biterider

sinsi

Biterider

sinsi

Can you post a basic project to show what the problem is?

LiaoMi

Hi Biterider,

Microsoft's classic situation, after the update, something often breaks down, the objects are so complex that all the little things are difficult to predict. Often problems can arise due to old extensions installed, see which can be disabled. In such cases, I completely remove the visual studio with a special uninstaller.

QuoteIf you encounter a catastrophic error and cannot repair or uninstall Visual Studio, you can run the InstallCleanup.exe tool to remove installation files and product information for all installed instances of Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio 2019. Running this tool should be done only as a last resort if repair or uninstall fail, and may uninstall features from other Visual Studio installations or other products that might then also need to be repaired.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout\InstallCleanup.exe

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/remove-visual-studio?view=vs-2019

But perhaps the problem is deeper, if you want, you can write in support. Here is an example of a similar topic ...

Bug 35858 - Summary: VS2015 does not show contents of local variables during debug (RC3)
https://xamarin.github.io/bugzilla-archives/35/35858/bug.html

Biterider

Hello
Thanks for the good ideas  :thumbsup:
Finally I found the problem. It appears that the latest linker is faulty or receives information from UASM that it can not understand.
When switching back to an older version of link.exe, the local variables (structures) are displayed correctly again (VS2019 Community/Professional).

These are the versions I could test:
link.exe Version 14.00.24210.0 VS2015 - OK
link.exe Version 14.22.27905.0 VS2019 - FAIL

Right now it's OK for me, but it's a MS (link.exe) or an UASM issue.  :sad:

Biterider

aw27

Some people don't show what they were trying to do but are eager in blaming everybody else and their uncles.
link.exe and uasm have changed the way they handle debug info along the time.  This has been extensively discussed.