Author Topic: Got a break-through at Microsoft  (Read 455 times)

Mayuresh Kathe

Got a break-through at Microsoft
« on: September 11, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
In continuum to a previous post regarding getting only the relevant files for MASM64-SDK from Microsoft, I have been searching and communicating with a lot of people at the company and have finally found someone who can answer questions regarding licensing MASM64 and associated tools and files to be used with MASM64-SDK.

He has shared the following 2 links for getting a build environment without having to install the whole of Visual Studio;
1. https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/thank-you-downloading-visual-studio/?sku=BuildTools&rel=16
2. https://chocolatey.org/packages/visualstudio2019buildtools

Plus he has shared details about how one can communicate directly with the Visual Studio team to have a more streamlined edition of developer tools required for MASM64-SDK.

Before I go further along this path, I would like the community to test out the links above and see if they are usable for most, and if the community thinks that a more streamlined edition with just MASM64 and associated files would be better/nicer, just share the list of files and I'll get ahead with discussing it with Microsoft.

Best wishes, and hope to have a tighter and better MASM64-SDK in the future.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Got a break-through at Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »
I think I have connected the idea before that there will never be a gutted version of the MASM64 extensions to the MASM32 SDK. It is a work in progress that has taken some massive amount of work to get it up and going and it will not be taken over as GPL/Open Sauce or any other alternative to its own very clear licence.

It has an unusual licence, it is unconditional freeware that makes no demand on anyone who wants to download it apart from not stealing it and re-licencing it to some other licence format. The user does not have to give their code to any other organisation, they do not have to publish their code and they are welcome to distribute their apps any way they like including selling it.

We will see what Microsoft have to offer but at the moment anyone who has Visual Studio installed already has the correct binaries to build 64 bit MASM code.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

fearless

• LetTheLightIn
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:02:37 PM »
Tried to install Chocolatey, but couldn't get it, numerous powershell errors (tried downloaded powershell updates, still the problems/errors persisted so gave up)
Tried the BuildTools installer:
  • [1.27 MB] vs_BuildTools.exe web-installer
  • [66.68 MB] installer setup/initialization download
  • [410 MB] Visual Studio Build Tools 2019 minimum options download
    • - C++ 2019 Redistributable Update
    • - MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.22)
    • - C++ Build Tools core features
    • - Windows Universal C Runtime
    •   (Total space required: 1.63 GB)
[477.95 MB] Total to download and install masm, linker, lib etc (and without the SDK libs)

fearless

CM690II Case, HX1000 PSU, Asus Z97, Intel i7-4790K, Seidon 120v Cooler, 16GB DDR3, MSI GTX 980TI

My Github  Twitter

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
I had a look at the Chocolatey site but I doubt it is legal as it is not controlled or backed by Microsoft who own the binaries. The Visual Studio link is OK but as usual you have to download a massive package to get a few basic binaries.
hutch at movsd dot com

Mayuresh Kathe

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
Hutch,

I never mentioned in the new post that you will have to "bundle" MASM64 and associated files with MASM64-SDK (with it's unusual license), you just assumed it.

All I am saying is that, since the channel with Microsoft is now open and they are welcoming new ideas for packaging their development tools as would benefit developers, why not give the discussion a shot?
All I need is a detailed list of the files (and their locations on a typical installation) required for MASM64-SDK to work as a full-development environment.

I am looking to request Microsoft to build a package under a license they see fit to suit the needs of the MASM64 community.

fearless

• LetTheLightIn
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 09:13:54 PM »
I think a list of files would be
  • masm (x86)
  • masm (x64)
  • linker
  • lib
  • rc (resource compiler)
  • associated dlls for those exes
  • SDK Libs (x86)
  • SDK Libs (x64)
I assume options could be checked to enable/disable custom installation of components
fearless

CM690II Case, HX1000 PSU, Asus Z97, Intel i7-4790K, Seidon 120v Cooler, 16GB DDR3, MSI GTX 980TI

My Github  Twitter

fearless

• LetTheLightIn
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »
I think these specific files could be part of the list (might have missed a few)
  • ml.exe
  • ml64.exe
  • cvtres.exe
  • cvtresui.dll
  • lib.exe
  • link.exe
  • link.exe.config
  • linkui.dll
  • msobj140.dll
  • mspdb140.dll
  • mspdbcore.dll
  • rc.exe
  • rcdll.dll
  • tbbmalloc.dll
  • vcruntime140.dll
  • vcruntime140_1.dll
(Based on the files in vs2017 - would need testing to make sure there isn't any dll's missing)
fearless

My Github  Twitter

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:27:35 AM »
Mayuresh,

As long as you understand that the licence for the entire MASM32/64 project is un-negotiable, I have a wait and see approach that can only come from Microsoft who own the binaries. The original MASM32 project was started in late 1997 and has been maintained every since and over that time there have been many attempts to re-licence it, steal parts of it and even an attempt to take over the project.

Now currently anyone can download a version of Visual Studio and get all of the necessary binaries to build 64 bit MASM applications so all you have to offer if you can get it working is a smaller download which may be to the advantage of folks with slower internet connections but little else. There will be no gutted version of the MASM64 code, the accessories that you don't want are part of the project and there will be more of them over time.

Anyone is welcome to download the project and use it and sell their apps but there will be no re-bundling and no re-distribution.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 06:15:18 PM »
since the channel with Microsoft is now open and they are welcoming new ideas for packaging their development tools as would benefit developers, why not give the discussion a shot?

The interest of Microsoft could be that a bunch of crazy individuals (us) could give ML64 a rough time in The Laboratory. I am pretty sure the compiler developers sneak in from time to time to learn from us.

OTOH M$ deliberately crippled Masm, so nowadays UAsm is a much better choice. No gigabyte download, no license problems, and it's a full macro assembler.

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 06:48:25 AM »
JJ.. for once we can agree on at least one thing... :skrewy:

There's hope for the world  :thumbsup:
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »
 :biggrin:
The interest of Microsoft could be that a bunch of crazy individuals (us) could give ML64 a rough time in The Laboratory. I am pretty sure the compiler developers sneak in from time to time to learn from us.

OTOH M$ deliberately crippled Masm, so nowadays UAsm is a much better choice. No gigabyte download, no license problems, and it's a full macro assembler.
We have all heard this line of propaganda many times but 64 bit MASM is already application capable and not in need of any real change. Its just that some folks have not adapted to professional tools that don't hold your hot little hand and hark back to the days when 16 and 32 bit MASM were consumer products.

With no deference to either John or nidud, 64 bit MASM is not in development, they may fix a bug from time to time but its already part of the Microsoft tool set integrated with their compiler, linker and resource compiler.
hutch at movsd dot com