Author Topic: New Win7 64 box.  (Read 221 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
New Win7 64 box.
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
I had this very good Core2 Quad, a 9650 model languishing with a perfect copy of XP on it that I never used so I bit the bullet and rebuilt it as a Win7 box. It used to be my dev box years ago and when it started to wear out, I bought an identical Intel board from Germany and rebuilt it with a new power supply. Put 8 gig of memory in it a bit later and with this latest rebuild, 3 x 2tb disks and a 1 tb disk for the OS and local applications. Seems to work fine, is fast enough and will be useful as a bulk storage medium.

hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
Re: New Win7 64 box.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
nice and uselful toy  :thumbsup:
Felipe.

daydreamer

• watch Chebyshev on the backside of the Moon
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 04:17:32 AM »
nice :thumbsup:
gigabyte box there used contain mobo
and switch so you can keep everything on it and access with LAN?
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »
I found a way to use another 2tb disk, the board had an esata plug at the back so after ratting through my ancient junk, I actually found an esata to sata cable. Ratted through even older junk and found a couple of molex to sata power cables so I had both the power and sata data connection. Plonked the disk on the top of the can, plugged it all together and BINGO, I now have found a use for almost all of my old WD Green 2tb disks.

With my last NASBOX the board had become unreliable, probably the BIOS battery but it was not worth the effort of fixing it as this later Core2 quad on an Intel board is a better package altogether and with Win7 64 Ultimate, I can later use bigger disks again if it is necessary. Funny enough the i7 I have Win7 64 on is no faster than the Core2 quad, a 9650 processor.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy: