Author Topic: need advise on choosing a PC  (Read 275 times)

jack

need advise on choosing a PC
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:33:36 AM »
hello
my Mac Pro is 10 years old and on rare occasions it has a panic attack, also the USB interface malfunctions from time to time.
so I am thinking of buying a Windows PC, I am considering getting a used PC, but either way, I want a reliable PC with a CPU that has the latest sse instructions and also has the rdrand instruction
also, I often use virtual machines using VMware, so it needs to be efficient in that also
any advise?

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: need advise on choosing a PC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 12:38:35 AM »
Not an easy question to answer Jack, depends on how much you want to spend. A very late Core2 quad will handle SSE4.1, a later i7 will handle SSE4.2 and recent i7 and Haswell - Broadwell processors handle AVX  and AVX2 as well. I would be inclined to check through the Intel data on processors to see what delivers the capacity you need.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jack

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 12:54:52 AM »
would a xeon processor be a better choice for running virtual machines or would an i7 4th+ generation do just as well ?

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:16:38 AM »
Well, this is why I suggested looking through the Intel data, a Xeon is a server processor and you will pay more for it without gaining anything as a desktop machine. If you can afford it, a late model i7 or i9 will do what you need with the latest instruction sets but you will pay for it.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
When someone asks for advice about something, it is often to find someone to tell you that the decision you have already made is the best of all. :mrgreen:

I recently bought an i5 9th gen and a 4k monitor. Everyting goes right  :thumbsup:
The logic of the error is hidden among the most unexpected lines of the program

Vortex

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
Hi jack,

You can consider obtaining a solid disk for your new computer. It will increase the performance.

daydreamer

• watch Chebyshev on the backside of the Moon
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »
Hi jack,

You can consider obtaining a solid disk for your new computer. It will increase the performance.
I agree,my latest I got is 256gb solid disk and its very fast,but almost no space left now,so I got external 128gb drive too and other drives as well
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D