News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Problems with resource.

Started by xandaz, November 12, 2019, 05:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xandaz

Hi Guys. I'm trying to get back on track. I've been useing resource hacker to make the .rc file. When i assemble it all the resources don't get inside the .EXE file. Why is that. I seem to remember an old fashioned way where every resource had it's own ID but resource hacker doesnt work like that.
    can somone help?
    Thanks in advance

hutch--

Its a good tool but probably not the right one for your task. Why not write an RC script ?

TimoVJL

May the source be with you

xandaz

Thanks Hutch. Could you kindly direct me to information needed to write RC scripts? while i search for myuself as well of course.
   One Thanks not enough.
   be seein you

hutch--

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6512.0

xandaz

that's exactlly what i was looking for. Thanks

xandaz

Look...i know you've helped me a lot but i still have questions. i made the rc file. No resources are found inside the  exe file. why is that?
What am i not doing?
    Thanks again in advance

jj2007

Does the commandline care for the rc and res files? I don't know what IDE or editor you are using...

xandaz

I'm using ResEd JJ and QEditor for the assedmbly. Isn't that enough? I've been looking into ml and link command line options but see nothing regarding the rc files...
    thanks

xandaz

So.... i found out i need to use the resource compiler but still no resources found in .exe file when i imagelist_loadimage them.

jj2007

I don't use qEditor regularly, but as far as I remember, the build process includes resources if it finds a rsrc.rc in the path of the source. See in particular \Masm32\menus.ini and \Masm32\bin\bldallc.bat

How did you name your resource file?

hutch--

Just have a look in the examples, \masm32\examples\dialogs_later\

The default way of using dialogs is to name the RC file rsrc.rc

hutch--

Here is a very simple example, mainly so you can see the basic techniques for constructing a resource dialog. The RC file can be edited with Ketil Olsen's Resed.

Vortex

Hi xandaz,

Resource Hacker provides an option to save resources as compiled scripts, .res files.

xandaz

Well  guys... things have adavanced a little and i provided a non-working example for you to see what the heck is wrong, if you please.
    The LoadBitmap function returns resource name not found. Also tried the identifier. doesn't work either.
    thanks in advance