Author Topic: Chromebook running on ARM,anyone know about ARM? Dave?  (Read 4451 times)

anunitu

Chromebook running on ARM,anyone know about ARM? Dave?
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:16:41 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had experience with ARM,and if so where would one start to find knowledge in doing assembler on it. I saw the new Chromebook and at that cheap a price it might be worth the effort to learn ARM just because so many people might migrate towards this system. Might be an up and coming field for creating programs..kinda like the apps for the smart phones.

I did find this,as Google seems to be the one pushing the ARM chip and its OS's

http://www.arm.com/community/software-enablement/google/index.php

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
Re: Chromebook running on ARM,anyone know about ARM? Dave?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:28:20 AM »
a few members play with ARM code
one that comes to mind is Clive, who i have not seen much of, recently
i believe he writes for one of the GPS companies
he seems very knowledgable on portable devices

yes - it seems there is some money to be made in ARM and similar portable device apps
a couple months ago, i read about some high school kid that had made his first million doing so - lol
better hurry, though
that market is likely to be flooded with apps very quickly, if it isn't already

anunitu

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:31:14 AM »
Personally I was thinking more about hobby stuff,but had to mention the money side as well. There are so many different environments out now,it is hard to choose a path.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:34:28 AM »
well - i think that is a good path if you want to make a living
especially if you can fill specialized "niche" app needs
and - there are always games, games, games - lol

npnw

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
ARM has a website with the pdf manuals and programming reference manuals.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/index.php

npnw

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:21:27 PM »
here is a link to some different ARM processors that are coming out from other companies.

Gives you some ideas. Some companies have free assembler tools for the ARM and other processors.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4374795/Intel-makes-Netronome-flow-processor-with-ARM-inside

anta40

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »
I think one relatively easy way to give ARM a try is Raspberry Pi.
ARM is really popular nowadays: tablets, smartphones, handheld gaming consoles, etc

farrier

For the code is dark, and full of errors!
It's a good day to code!
Don't Bogart that code, my friend!

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
I've been doing some (lots) of reading comparing ARM and MIPS processors (on PIC chips)

While ARM has the advantage of lower power consumption, MIPS processors beat it hand down in terms if processing power, as it has longer pipelines and dual data buses which come at power expense.
ARM's power consumption is around 2/3rds that of MIPS, but if MIPS uses better silicon it'll be better in this regard.
Currently with Embedded CPU's MIPs has the advantage of a better variety of peripherals attached, so depending on application the choice difference is not much.

A new chip, just out from Actel, http://www.actel.com/products/smartfusion2/default.aspx is a revamped older version using the ARM cpu, but has a nice array peripherals, including DSP hardware, as well as being a FPGA chip where you roll your own cigarillos  :bgrin:
The flexibility is there, FARM (Fasm for ARM) is free, and the Libero Dev kit is free. All you pay for is the programmer, which for me is around 650 ZARs (+- 80 USD). A nice thing about this chip is now you have the ability to power down parts of used sections and power up as needed - very important for battery apps.

Edt: forgot to add this...

Texas TI have a nice set of low power DSP chips (C5000 series) that are pretty good and effectively compete with ARM (actually they make ARM look silly). The only problem is that they're not willing to give away their dev kit for nothing  :biggrin:. They wouldn't even give me a discount  :eusa_naughty: I did mention that all major vendors are giving away their devkits but they stuck to their 400 USD 'guns'.... so I moved on to Actel where I can roll my own. The funny thing is that had they given it away at the time, I would have been committed to Texas chips, as they're just as good. I stalled as I'm not a big fan of ARM, but then Smartfusion2 came out - Well that was that... I can live with ARM, as I like the FPGA structure that goes with it. The ARM cpu can just be a data pusher.
 8)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:26:11 PM by K_F »
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'